Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best shooting sticks?

Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best shooting sticks?

I'll be heading up to Montana hunting antelope and mule deer late next week and am thinking of some last minute things to take.

I've never used shooting sticks before but I can see that they would be helpful on the wide open prairie on antelope for sure and probably would come in handy for mule deer as well.

I looked at the Stoney Point shooting sticks that are a bi-pod and they sell for $35 but you can add a tripod leg to them for an extra $20 for a total price tag of $55.

Stoney Point Steady Stix II

Stoney Point Tripod Kit

I'm also looking at the MossBack shooting tripod that sells for $60.

MossBack Shooting Tripod

The MossBack got some mediocre reviews a few places but mainly when used in the standing position and I wouldn't probably use them in the standing position very often. The Stoney Point Steady Stix either come in a sitting or standing version and I would be buying the sitting version.

I realize you can make your own shooting sticks, but I was thinking the fold up versions would be nicer to haul around in a backpack and to take up to Montana with me.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nathan
Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best shooting sticks?

I'd suggest buying a good quality bi-pod that attaches to the gun such as the Harris pivoting bipod, these are awesome when you're in the wide open prairies where you can take a shot at a stationary targetwhile laying prone. Along with those, take your pick on the un-attached shooting sticks that are taller and will allow you to shoot from the sitting position. Then you'll have the sitting and prone positions covered.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had ruled out the bi-pods due to the fact that I would probably be carrying my rifle around for miles and didn't really wan't to be lugging the bi-pod around on it the whole time. Something I read mentioned that you need to carry the rifle with the muzzle pointing down to keep the bi-pod from getting in the way especially if you are wearing a backpack. I figured if I was going to shoot prone I would just remove my backpack and use it for a rest.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

why pay 30 bucks for shooting sticks when you can make them tailored to your needs for under 10 bucks. I have a set of Bi-Fur-pods that I made to suit me and my needs based on Varmint Al's original design. Ive been using mine for about 3 years and IMO they are better than anything on the market. I guess maybe because pro hunter joe on buckmasters uses stoney point shooting stix. that homemade ones just arent cool enough. if you arent above homemade heres a link for instructions. http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM

Stoney point bipod not stix. Leave the harris bipod at home. This is what you need:

Get the longer set:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005829221333a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=stoney+point&N=4887 &Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1& amp;Ntt=stoney+point&noImage=0
Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, if you're carrying a back pack while hunting antelope, you're carrying too much stuff. As far as a gun mounted bipod catching on that big a$$ pack, it just don't happen because the sling mounts to the base of the bipod and the bipod follows the rifle barrel. SO, since I don't see wearing a pack, by the way you say the bipod weighs too much but you're planning on wearing/needing a pack to carry stuff, the bipod fixed on the gun makes for a solid rest from the prone position. Usually antelope live in wide open spaces and often times require a long shot. The prone position is the best to make that shot.

Highdesertwolf is absolutely correct in that making your own shooting sticks is simple and cheap. Most times the sticks will be used from the sitting position, and once again, although that's a better choice than off hand, the prone position is a better long range shooting choice.

I rarely use my bipod that attaches to my rifles, BUT for antelope, I always do.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

the prone position is a better long range shooting choice.

I rarely use my bipod that attaches to my rifles, BUT for antelope, I always do.
In my experience hunting antelope the terrain was never conducive to using my harris bipod. I took it off after the first day. And never missed it. Each hunting trip is different though. I agree that prone is the best but i never could see over the sage from the prone.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm doing a combination mule deer and antelope hunt and probably will be wearing the pack mainly going after mule deer. Not sure though, there is a good chance I'll be by myself and sometimes on antelope you can get out in the middle of nowhere and have some good chances at a nice buck that some road hunters spook up.

I don't want to really spend the time making my own sticks if the $50 ones work fine andare retractable.

ShatoDavis - What is wrong with the Stoney Point steady stixs? I was thinking the tripod versions would be a lot steadier than the bipod versions.

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:54 PM

IMO, go with the Harris bi-pod for this reason, you want to stay low especially with lopes. You have to get up at least to your knees with any stick, but the bi-pod allows you the option of prone and swauted because the legs extend.
I highly recomend the shorter bi-pods because the longer ones are too long for prone, and too short for kneeling/squating. My gun is about 12" off the ground in the prone, so the 11" - 23" works fine for me. Go to:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20774_TGP&id=000582520693a&navCount=2&a mp;podId=0005825&parentId=cat20774&masterp athid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XH&r id=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20774& hasJS=true
Shows you how they work. Connects to sling swivel and then sling connects to bi-pod. Very secure. Legs fold up and never get in the way. Nice feature:bi-pod allpwsyou to set your gun down without getting in the durt!
I like them both. Use them both. I leave the Harris on the gun and carry the shooting stick. That way, I have all of my choices right handy!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: npaden

I'mmy own sticks if the $50 ones work fine andare retractable.

ShatoDavis - What is wrong with the Stoney Point steady stixs? I was thinking the tripod versions would be a lot steadier than the bipod versions.

Thanks for the input.

They are too shaky! Not enough "meat" in the legs. the ones I posted suit me much better. I can pull the rifle stock into them for a more solid hold. the "stix" folded under the pressure. I like the adjustments on the "bipod" version. On uneven ground you can make one leg longer, provide enough time..... They are a much better product in my opinion. I wouldn't bother with the tripod versions. You won't have that much time usually. At most you'll have enough time to throw open the bipod, sit down, take aim, and squeeze. If you take too long and deer start hightailing it your guide will get pissy with you! You need to get them asap so you can practice with them for awhile. You'll be a little clumbsy with them at first.In a short while you'll be able to get setup for a shot in short order.

Quick Reply: Best shooting sticks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.