Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best shooting sticks?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best shooting sticks?

Well, I may have waited too long to get them then. I don't have to worry about my guide getting pissy with me though since I'll be my guide!

I've been practicing some more recently and am pretty happy at 200 yards sitting crosslegged. On the last group, 2 of the shots were within 1 1/2" from the bullseye very close together and I had one flyer that was 3 1/4" high but the barrel was getting pretty hot and I was impatient and ready to go. I was using a folding chair and a pillow for a rest, I would think that would be pretty similar to a tri-pod as far as support. I'm going to work on some 300 yard shots this weekend but it is hard to find a spot to shoot 300 yards.

If I can find some in town I'll buy some and practice with them this weekend. I guess otherwise I'll be looking for a natural rest like I did hunting out there as a kid.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I went against everyone's advice and picked up a hodge podge of bi-pods and a mono-pod and am going to try them out this weekend and see how they do.

I picked up a Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bi-pod for the prone position. It adjusts from 10" - 13" and you just pop it on and off a quick attach swivel pivot that stays on the rifle. It was $39.99.

I also picked up a cheap adjusting pivoting bi-pod for sitting shots ($24.99) and an even cheaper mono-pod ($9.99) just to see if it would work or not for standing shots.

If the cheap bi-pod and mono-pod aren't very steady and the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bi-Pod is then I'll probably buy the sitting version of the Stoney Point Bi-Pod and return the others. If the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bi-Pod doesn't work then I'll just return it.

I'll update this thread after I field test them this weekend.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

Well I went against everyone's advice and picked up a hodge podge of bi-pods and a mono-pod and am going to try them out this weekend and see how they do.

I picked up a Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bi-pod for the prone position. It adjusts from 10" - 13" and you just pop it on and off a quick attach swivel pivot that stays on the rifle. It was $39.99.

I also picked up a cheap adjusting pivoting bi-pod for sitting shots ($24.99) and an even cheaper mono-pod ($9.99) just to see if it would work or not for standing shots.

If the cheap bi-pod and mono-pod aren't very steady and the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bi-Pod is then I'll probably buy the sitting version of the Stoney Point Bi-Pod and return the others. If the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bi-Pod doesn't work then I'll just return it.

I'll update this thread after I field test them this weekend.
I have the bipod/sticks you have pictured there on my groundhog rifle. I have the sitting length ones and LOVE them. There are sturdy, solid, light, and steady. I routinely pic off groundhogs using those sticks at 200+ hards. Probably one of the best purchases I made for groundhog hunting.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I made my own.Two 4 ft long5/8" diameter dowel sticks from Lowes. Drill a 3/16 hole thru both about 10 inches from the end. Use an outside flat washer, a middle washer and another outside washer inside the nut. Then superglue the nut on. I wound tape around where the gun would set so it would not scrape the stock. I also wound several wraps around the legs to keep them from banging together as I walked.

Greatas a walking stick also. I use a small campbag chair ($4.97 at WM)on my stand with the sticks in from of me. The shooting sticks I bought whereeither to long or too short. Mono-sticks did not work good for me.

Less than $5. If you lose or break them, no great loss.

The only shooting sticks I would like to try are the ones built into the sling.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you do a search on this sight the sling stix (the ones built into the sling) don't get very good reviews. It seems like a great idea, but evidently is stilllacking in the execution department.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The shooting sticks I bought whereeither to long or too short.
Most shooting sticks are easy height adjusted by simply spreading the legs out or bringing them together. That's the main reason I avoid using any sticks that have the legs attached to each other.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

ORIGINAL: npaden

I'mmy own sticks if the $50 ones work fine andare retractable.

ShatoDavis - What is wrong with the Stoney Point steady stixs? I was thinking the tripod versions would be a lot steadier than the bipod versions.

Thanks for the input.

They are too shaky! Not enough "meat" in the legs. the ones I posted suit me much better. I can pull the rifle stock into them for a more solid hold. the "stix" folded under the pressure. I like the adjustments on the "bipod" version. On uneven ground you can make one leg longer, provide enough time..... They are a much better product in my opinion. I wouldn't bother with the tripod versions. You won't have that much time usually. At most you'll have enough time to throw open the bipod, sit down, take aim, and squeeze. If you take too long and deer start hightailing it your guide will get pissy with you! You need to get them asap so you can practice with them for awhile. You'll be a little clumbsy with them at first.In a short while you'll be able to get setup for a shot in short order.
I agree with shato, been using the stoney pointbipod for 3 years and very pleased. I just strapit to my pack and go. Harris bipods aregood but for me just weren't practical.

Side note take a look at the safari sling. It changes the load point from 1 shoulder to both and allows you to carry the rifle in front vs back. I use this sling when elk and moose hunting, whereI have a pack on and like my hands to be free to call while keeping the rifle as close as possible. I use it with my ML which is heavy. Last weekendI logged a lot of miles in country similar to what you'll be experiencing while chasing Mulie's and no soreness resulted.

Good luck
Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried out the bi-pods last night and I really liked the stoney point rapid pivot bi-pod. I ended up returning the others and bought a 2nd stoney point in the sitting/kneeling length. Practiced out to 300 yards and felt pretty good about it although the groups were nothing spectacular I was consistently hitting the paper and at 300 yards I felt that was pretty good. The BDC rectile worked pretty good also. I have it zeroed in at 200 yards and the 1st circle down was right on at 300 yards. I don't have anywhere on my property where I can practice at 400 yards so I'm not sure about the 2nd circle for 400 yards, but based on my current shooting skills I don't think I'll take a shot out past 300 yards.

I wish I had read about the safari sling before I bought my sling. It is a butler creek alaskan magnum and I had heard good things about it but it is going to take some getting used to because I've never used a sling before.