Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

"raghorn"?

Old 01-14-2003, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default "raghorn"?

I've heard people refering to "raghorn" elk, What exactly is a raghorn?

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 01-14-2003, 06:58 AM

Default RE: "raghorn"?

I seen ye get'n 'n given advice for yer friend as to which elk rifle he otta buy 'n weigh'n the pro's 'n cons this way 'n that way and now yer askin' about what "raghorns" are? Ouch! I worry 'bout you kodiak!
Old 01-14-2003, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

A raghorn bull is usually 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years old, it may be a 5x5 a 4x4 a 3x3 a 3x2 a 4x3 a 5x4 or any of those combinations, it could even be a 6point with not much of a rack. Raghorns are usually young in age and their best years for size in antler growth are still ahead of them. Racks are narrow and normally not very tall. It's still a trophy in the eyes of the beholder. elknut1

www.elknut.com
Bugling Bulls & Beyond!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

elknut1 pretty much covered it. Simply put its a bull who hasn't fully matured yet and it is bigger than a spike.

Rackem if you would've checked all his posts you'd know hes from the south and they don't have a whole lotta elk down there.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

They got it right, a raghorn is generally a 2 1/2 year old bull. In whitetail terms he would be called a basket-rack buck.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rackem,I've hunted elk several years, but due to lack of opportunity and time and the distance I am from elk country I have mainly used guides. I've heard the guides use the term before, and I didn't know what it was, but I didn't want to ask a stupid question and sound like I had no hunting expereince at all (most any western hunter would know what a raghorn was). I just haven't been around too many elk hunters long enough to pick up the jargon.I appreciate you worring about me, it shows you care .

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I figured.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"