Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

FINALLYYYYY

Old 09-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FINALLYYYYY

For me it was 17 days of hiking in units 16, 17, 19, and 20 in Idaho last September. I did get close to 1 bull and at about 30 yards I was heart-thumping excited, but it was so thick I could only hear him bugle and hear him breathing. A few more cow calls and he spooked and ran past me through the trees, no shot. That was way awesome. Just need to try some different parts and hope for the fires to go away.

Elk hunting ain't for the weak or lazy that's for sure. Anyone that has ever tagged one on private land and withno guide has my unwavering respect, especially those that do it with a bow (I rifle hunt only currently).
Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bull Clinty Poo!! What state are you in??
Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 PM

Washington, the northeast corner of washington state!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:46 PM

THAT is a VERY NICE ELK! and I think it isawesome that you did get it with your bow!

IJustgot back from moose hunting! Had a BLAST! Caught a porcupine with my bare hands ALIVE! (...AND lived to tell about it! THAT was by far the high light of my trip to Dillingham! Also photographed another pack of wolves in the early morning mist! Have some KILLER reflection pictures of them! AND had my very first MOOSE hunter (with ME as the guide!) He got a 57 inch moose! A VERY FUN HUNT! ... BUT... I DEFINITELY have to talk to fish and game about the "having to pack out the BONES of the hind quarter and front shoulder!"Who the heck ever came up with THAT rule... must never have even SEEN a Moose up close!I live in unit 8... So this area was new to me... A beautiful place though...

[/align][/align]
Itwas my first trip out as a registered hunting guide (guiding for Moose.) I learned day one on this trip ... that my ability to "kiss ass" is not as good as most... so I probably will never get rich on tips! (ORmaybe even be a very good "professional huntingguide"! Getting people up on animals... YES... LOVE IT! ... ENJOY THE HECK OUT OF IT! But taking credit for thereshots (in the FOOT!)...or even saying "I" must have missed...(if there were missed shots)... Iwill have a hard time with!)I PROBABLY shouldNEVER have pointed out while skinning it out,that the neck shot shattered the back bone. (my shot)and I NEVER EVER should have pulledHIS bullet out from the rump in front of him... to give to him.You should NEVERmake it obvious to a paying client... just WHO'S shotput the animal down...ISHOULD have just never let him KNOW where his bullets came from... and said... Yep... that first shot of yours right through the boiler maker was perfect! ... and your last shotin the neck iswhat brought it down! But it would have been VERY HARD for me totake credit fora foot shot! [/align][/align]Hisrifle MUST HAVE BEEN WAY OFFto have both his shots in the rear of the animal like that!) I needed to KNOW for myself though... which is WHY I really wanted to find the bullets!What if itWAS MY GUN that was off! I never did make him take a shot or two "in front of me" for practice...I SHOULD have! NEXT TIME I WILL! ButI guesswhen it comes right down to it... You just gottalet them THINK they did it all by themselves... even if they didn't... and THAT is gonna be VERY hard for me! Not sure if I have it in me! To swallow my pride and give someone else credit for MY SHOTS! ... It is SsssoooooMUCH MORE FUN... to just GET THEM CLOSE enough for a good shot... quite another thing to be diplomatic. It is DEFINATELY NOT like "hunting with friends"... Getting upon Whales kayaking... EVERYONE is happy... and they are GLAD you can get them that close!... No pressure as to THERE ABILITIES once your there! I am glad to see you are out having fun too! and it's especially nice to KNOW that YOU deserved getting that Elk! YOU put the work in and did it all on your own! Who the heck cares if it's not a record book elk? Personally I'llALWAYSgo for a broomed ram over one I have to sit there and count rings on anyday! Preferably a SLEEPING one! No need to take a **** shot at a running animal! Wendy[/align][/align][/align]

Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Wendy, great to see aother passionate woman hunter lurking around. Congrats on the moose and the nice ram you have there. Good luck with the guiding, sounds like you're starting to understand the politics of it better.

Clint, you up near Hunter/Colville area?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Power you have mail (personal message).. D000ddD I read your profile and you like sportbikes.. My lord those things are my LIFE besides hunting. I've got an 06 zx6r and an 06 KTM 625 SMC super moto..
Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Wow! A big congrats!!!! Thats gotta be an awesome feeling!!
Old 09-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's a nice one, and with a bow congrats!!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Clint, will go read now...

BTW, I've got a 2001 GSX1300R Hayabusa parked in my garage, bought new myself in '01 and never down.....;-)
Old 09-28-2007, 11:00 AM

Nice bull

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.