Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk fighting squeal....

Old 08-27-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Elk fighting squeal....

I've read that a fighting squeal is one of only a few and possibly the best call to get cow elk to come in. Does anyone have a link to what this sounds like?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk fighting squeal....

Go here www.elknut.com & click on "Elk Sounds" link. Click on "Battling Cows" this will give you a good idea as to the sound you are looking to imitate as far as your question goes. The "Lost Cow" sound is another good one for cows. The sounds are a bit sqealy sounding due to PC speakers, not the best quality! But you will get the idea, play the sound several times to really get the hang of the tone needed.

The reason "fighting Cow" sounds work is because cows fight for lead cow or a dominant position as bulls do, this is especially so early on in the rut but will carry on through out peak rut!! Good Luck!

ElkNut1
Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 AM

Very good info as a cow tag is what I have and early rut is what I'll be hunting.

The two calls sound similar to me, but the fighting call seems to have more pitch changes and seems more urgent. Does this sound like a good discription between the differences? Also, what format are these sounds? Can I download them for personal use and listen to them on my 15 hour drive to Colorado?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, your description is good. When you have cows Battling there is no ryme or reason to their sounds, they can be off the charts. A lost cow sound on the other hand is very predictable & stands on it's own sound, it's very easily known & understood by other elk, it can be a magnet when you're near elk. Just do not call where elk can look your direction & see nothing. You must have a good setup where elk must come looking for you! Therefore putting them into range!

ElkNut1