Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

best big game gun...

Old 08-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best big game gun...

I have to agree about 100 percent with ShatoD. It is a preference thing and I too would list the 260/6.5x55 as the starting point for big game. I have taken almost all the NA big game species with the 6.5x55 with the 140 grain Hornady SP.

That said, If I could have only one for everything, I would choose the 300 Win Mag. At this time it has to much recoil for me to ENJOY shooting and once sighted in, it would set in the safe until hunting season. One shot to check the Zero and then only shoot as little I had to. However its adds a little versitility over the 06 which I consider plenty of gun as well.

Right now I have many calibers but could get by very well with the CZ-270 and the right choice of bullets. I consider the 300 Win Mag the most versitile NA caliber ever developed. If you reload, it becomes even better. As Shato said it comes down ALWAYS to shot placement and I would add Propper bullet choice.