Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunting

Old 01-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default elk hunting

I elk hunted last year with no luck in colorado...i like this year to be different. Where should I start my search in order to find good public land? Should I use a guide or outfitter?

Old 01-04-2003, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elk hunting

Did you use a guide on your last elk hunt? Do you want a bull or cow tag? If you want a bull tag how big or small a bull will you be happy with? Why were you not successful on your last hunt? What are your limitations? How knowledgeable are you when it comes to elk hunting? We need more information to answer your question. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:33 AM

Rochelle, a few questions to help us get a feel for your 2002 hunt?

Did other hunters in your immediate area take elk?
Did you have any opportunities?
How much time did you spend learning the area, on foot and in person?
Which season did you hunt?
When did you arrive versus the first day of the season?
How many days did you scout prior to the first day of the season?
How far was your stand from the road? (By stand I do not mean a tree stand or blind, just an advantageous spot where you wait hidden, motionless, and quiet while in ambush mode)
Were you "on stand" one hour before sunrise?
How long did you stay "on stand" before roaming around in the morning?
Did you stay out in the field ALL day - dusk to dawn - on the first day?
How long was the season, how many total days did you hunt?
Tell us about your hunting partner(s).

EKM

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!

Edited by - ELKampMaster on 01/05/2003 03:09:19
Old 01-05-2003, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Elk huntin' ain't rock science, but it do take a lil' effort. Elkampmaster's got a good read on the particulars, so I ain't gonna talk 'bout all thet. Best thing to do if yer serious 'bout elk huntin' is git in with some locals an' hunt with 'em ever year. Best huntin' now days ain't from roads or road camps. Sad fact is thet even the backcounty is gettin' overrun. But if you can find a high valley thet suits you, you can get the access and camp particulars in order fer good, an' then yer set. Once you know an' area, stick with it an' call it yer own. Then you need to git jealous of everbody tryin' to weasel in on yer turf. Best thing is to have enuff people in camp to ruin the chances of any new camps that come into yer area. Its worth wastin' a few days keepin' game away from the interlopers camp, huntin' as a secondary activity. Now this may seem mean, but these days (an' it ain't gonna git no better), a man's gotta protect his huntin' grounds or let all the Kmart hunters take it over.

BJ
Old 01-05-2003, 11:59 AM

Read about a state you choose-
Study game statistics, from kills to herd densities
Pick a likely area
Get topos and aerial photos. Study and Understand them....
Get to the area and SEE it.. even a few days before season helps.
Know how to REALLY hunt, tracking, stalking, glassin, scouting
BE in shape....
Have just the gear needed, no more/no less.

And know your game in your sleep.

Or pay a guide to sit ya butt on the ground somewhere where he knows there is an elk or deer in the area. Shoot and call it a hunt. <ul>[*][*][*][/list]
Old 01-05-2003, 12:23 PM

I hunted colorado with great success this past season but it was in an area we have hunted the last few years and have leaned the land and animals. we had 1st rifle season this year and tagged 4 elk by 10:30 am on the 3rd day. not bad for 4 hicks from Iowa lol

htt://hhh-usa.org

nafc
annuall member
nra
rmef
Old 01-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HAVE HUNTED COLO FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS. FIRST YEAR TOOK A NICE 5X5 THIS YEAR TOKK TWO COWS AND MY OLDEST SON TOOK A COW WITH ME THIS YEAR. IT IS PRIVATE LAND SO YOU PAY TRESPASS FEE TO HUNT BUT AFTER THAT IS ALL UP TO YOU. I CAN TELL YOU I HAVE PUT MANY MILES ON MY BOOTS IN THE LAST TWO YEARS GETTING TO KNOW THE LAND AND THE ELK HABITS. COULD HUNT PUBLIC LAND BUT THE PROBLEM WITH THAT IS ACCESS NO VEHICLES ALLOWED, I DONT HAVE HORSES SO I DONT HUNT THERE. ALL IN ALL ELK HUNTING IS NO DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER WILD GAME HUNTING YOU HAVE TO KNOW THE ANIMALS HABITS AND HABITAT OR GET REALLY LUCKY. YOU CANNOT GET ANYTHING FROM THE COUCH
Old 01-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

My lovely bride jus' brung me two elk stakes an' a cold beer. You guessed it, I was sittin' on my couch. Who says a couch potato cain't get elk.

BJ
Old 01-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry I should be more specific...I live in Illinois and had never went elk hunting before.A buddy who lives in Denver,Co. Scouted the area and saw Elk before I arrived. We didnt use a guide and we hunted near Silverthorn and Dillon Co.The hunt was during bow season on 9/13/01. We hunted for 4 days and saw plenty of sign and no elk..Heard one bugle and that was it.the daytime temps were pretty warm up in the 60s. One problem we ran into was Grouse hunters.I dont know what the Elk numbers were in that area and I dont care if I shoot a cow I just want to take an Elk.Gun or bow. If there are better public hunting areas Im willing to do the homework..Id just would like to be pointed in the right direction and given some advice from you guys.

Old 01-05-2003, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rochelle, E-MAIL me. I hunt maybe 50 miles from you and see numerous elk almost every year. Bow and rifle hunted this year in the same spot. Saw too many bulls to count during the bow season and too many elk to count also during the rifle season. Actually had a nice bull following me down the mountain as we were bugling to each other after dark. He stayed within 50 yards of almost all the way back to camp. The camp could have had 100% had my father not second guessed himself. Hunting near Dillon and Silverthorn you probably had too many hunters there and the elk probably got pushed back deep in the forest.

Quick Reply: elk hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.