Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what size rifle for a first season big game girl?

Old 08-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what size rifle for a first season big game girl?

Let her shoot the 270 to see how she does. Fit is more important when it comes to how she'll handle the recoil. Like has been said a model 7 would probably be the best fit depending on her size. I would go 243, 257 or 260 for some pretty mild recoiling rounds. It really depends on her though.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Typical Buck

If she doesn't like the .270, get a .25-06, mmy uncle's got a buddy who loves his for antelope hunting, great recoil-shy shooter's rifle.
There is no recoil diffrence between the 25.06 and the 270. Both are built on the same case the only diffrence is the 25 caliber is .013 smaller.

Some people just shouldn't give gun advice.

I would buy her a NEF .243, 7mm-08 0r 308. They are inexpensive, reasonably good shooters as a hunting rifle and are easy to operate for the new shooter. My wife shoots one in 30-06 and loves it. As far as the elk goes don't be affraid a bit to take her elk hunting with any of those calibers.There have been ALOT of elk shot with the .243. I carry a Howa Ultra light .308 as my go to deer/elk gun. Alot of folks will tell you if it doesn't have magnum attachd to the name you can't kill an elk with it. Thats all "hogwash". Any elk within reasonalbe distance say 300 yards, with a decent shot will fall to any "non magnum". For those that have to shoot them at 500-600.Thats alright you will get closer next time.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't be immature and throwing insults.

The adviceyougave mentioned the same cartridges I did, the .308 and the 7mm-08, just give your constructiveinput, not breaking everything else down, sure mention that the recoil is the same, but don't suppose I know nothing about rifles, that just makes people take you less seriously if you don't know how to have respect.

The advice I gave, about the 7mm-08, was good, but the way you post, it doesn't appear you even read it.

Take the plank out of your own eye before trying to take the pebble out of your neighbors.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

MY wife shoots a 25-06 abolt with no problem.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

I wasn't being insulting I just simply stated "some people should not give gun advice" Because your uncles dad's buddy owns one does not make you a viable source on the gun or the round. Let the guys that own them and shoot them give others the insight. These boards would be alot more informative if the people that really don't have a clue, just let the guys that do...give first hand experience.Thats how rumors get started.

The 7mm-08 is pretty much the bridge between the .243, and the .308, in power, and recoil.

If she thinks a recoil pad really helps, and that she could comfortably take more recoil with a recoil pad, you could get a .308 and put a recoil pad on it, but I would just stay safe and get the 7mm-08 Rem.
Hate to tell you but the recoil on those three are also exactly the same.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Elknutz,
I beg to differ,with those three in all the same make modle and weight,the 243(100 gr)will kick less than the 7mm-08(139 gr)and 7mm-08 is less than the 308(180 gr).
As with the 25-06 vs the 270.Having owned all the above metioned rifles the 25-06 will kick less shooting 115 gr loads veres the standard 130 out of the 270.

I have a Ruger M77 25-06 and a Rem 7400 270 win and my wife shoots both with ease with the less recoil going to the 270 due to the gas opperation.There is quite a big gain in recoil when she shoot my Rem 721 in 270 win,and she won't touch my Modle 7 in 308 win.But we are not comparing apples to apples,I'm shure any of the above calibers in a gas operated,right fitting gun and the recoil would be a non issue.

I would get her a 257 roberts or the 25-06 for everything up to large deer/caribou.These two would handle the task well with 115 gr Noslers and recoil would be minimal.

BBJ

Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is no recoil diffrence between the 25.06 and the 270. Both are built on the same case the only diffrence is the 25 caliber is .013 smaller.
That is total B.S.You really need to plug some numbers into a recoil calculator to see that for yourself.

http://www.huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/

Or simply look at the chart below.It isn't as precise,but it plainly shows that just because two cartridges use the same parent case,doesn't mean that they produce the same recoil.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

But your post did prove your own statement to be true.

"some people should not give gun advice"

Old 08-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

By looking at your chart it doesn't appear that the recoil on the 25.06 and the 270 are much diffrent at all. They pretty much are twins. I own a custom 25.06 with a monte carlo stock that will scope you if you aren't careful. While the I own(ed) a Mauser 270 that was a joy to shoot.(other issues otherwise I would still own it) Care too explain that?? I will, it's because of the way the stock is built in allignment to the bore.
Also by reading your chart I see (comparing apples to apples) the 7mm 08(154 gr) and the 308 (150 gr) have virtually the same recoil. If they made or charted a 243 bullet of 150 grin I would venture to say it would be right up there too.
I own all the rifles that we are talking about and too me,it comes down to what is felt on the shoulder not what the numbers might read.

Again might I add "some people should not give gun advice"
Old 08-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

From the chart below
http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

243 win recoil-75.7

7mm-08 recoil-120.8 to 163 depending on bullet weight

Both use the same parent case,rifles the same weight,yet a significant difference in recoil..

25-06 recoil 146 with 8lb rifle

270win recoil 162 to 185 with 8.5 lb rifle

30-06 recoil 223 to 296 with 8.5lb rifle

All three use the same case yet even with a lighter rifle the 25-06 produces less recoil than the other two.With the same weight rifle,the 30-06 produces much more recoil.

257wby mag recoil 156

270wby mag recoil 223

Both use the same parent case,and the rifle weight is the same,yet the 270 produces substancially more recoil.

By looking at your chart it doesn't appear that the recoil on the 25.06 and the 270 are much diffrent at all. They pretty much are twins.
The numbers don't look the same to me.And you must take into account that the 270 is listed with a heavier rifle that reduces recoil.With rifles of the same weight,the difference would be geater.

Also by reading your chart I see (comparing apples to apples) the 7mm 08(154 gr) and the 308 (150 gr) have virtually the same recoil.
You aren't comparing apples to apples.154gr is heavier than 150gr and the 308 rifle is 1/2lb heavier which reduces recoil.With the same weight bullet and the same weight rifle,the 308 would have significantly more recoil than the 7mm-08.

If you had bothered to look at the link to the recoil calculator that I posted,you would have seen that rifle weight is a significant factor as far as recoil is concerned.Apparently,you didn't bother,or simply ignored that fact because it did not support your totally false position that all cartridges using the same case produce the same recoil..
Old 08-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Knock Knock..you don't get it. You can look at the numbers until you are blue in the face. There is nothing about them that are apples to apples. The each very in gun weight, bullet weight, charge weight, etc. If you were too down load the 7mm 4 grs of powder to the max load of a 243, with the same bullet weight and measured the recoil it would be virtually the same. For instance there is 40 grains of bullet weight diffrence between the 243 and the 7mm-08 plus there is 4 grains of powder diffrence. MOST people out there could not tell the difffrence if blind folded between any of the (25.06 vs 270 or the 243 vs 7mm-08 or 308) calibers in each class you listed. There is simply not enough diffrence to notice. I could not tell you that there is 1.4 pounds of recoil energy diffrence between the 25.06 and the 270. It would be like me telling you a fish was 6 lbs when it was only 5.8 without a scale your not going to know.
The question was will this 270 work for his girlfriend not which gun has the most recoil. This came about from someone stating the 25.06 has less recoil then a 270. The bottom line is when it barks it is gonna push on your shoulder just as much. The same as the other three mentioned.

Quick Reply: what size rifle for a first season big game girl?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.