Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.460 weatherby for antelope?

Old 08-27-2007, 03:23 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .460 weatherby for antelope?

[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: EKM

Nothing like flat out hammering your quarry in the early morning chill....
thesound of a heavy K-THUD on impact.... the heavy smell of prodigous amounts of spent nitrocellulosescenting the air....
Looks, sounds, and smells like.... victory.
This is classic...lmfaoo I cant quit laughing
A classic perhaps, buthardly an original I'm afraid.... [Ripped it off from Apocolypse Now]

I have been there and done that though, oneespecially memorableoccurance on elk....
Looked good,
Sounded good,
Smelled good too, plus

....the elk hunter wanabees [][]we encountered at the trailhead on the way out withour pack string sure did seem to attach some degree of victorytowardsscoring one's quarryand some measure of defeat towards going home empty handed for a meal of "tag soup".

Similar result on antelope, only no trail head of course, the guy with me with the 264WinMag that had missed twice prior to my first shot was a bit chagrined at the distant K-THUD outcome (sight and sound only, too much wind for anyscent of nitrocellulose).

Glad you are amused,
You should consider trying it sometime....
Expandthe olehorizons, and get out a little bit.

[/blockquote]
Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

As much as I'd love to I got too many irons in the fire for any really good long distance expeditions. These trucks I have keep me chasing my tail constantly. A couple of days is manageable but a couple of weeks I just cant swing YET.. Elk hunting is something I've wanted to do forever but Im not gonna doit until I can do it all the way and stay for at least 7-10 days.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Delete
Old 08-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

DD, When you go you can stop in SD and whack a Mulie. My Sask Outfitter is just doing fishing right now. I talked to him a bit when we were up there last month. We saw several nice Bears and moose and the fishing was terrific.