Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk scouting

Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk scouting

While sitting here in the flat lands of the east reading posts on elk hunting, I thought it might be fun to get actual updates from those that LIVE in elk country while they're scouting and preparing for this falls hunts. Maybe even a day by day account of his/her acitvities relating to the upcomming hunts.What time you started and finished, what you saw and heard. To me the more details the better. To those that live amongst the elk it might not seem a big deal but to me and maybe others that only get to personally experience elk hunting and all that goes with it for a far too short time in the fall, it would be a little like being there. Just a thought.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 PM

Default RE: Elk scouting

I live on a ranch in South Central British Columbia...my back property line is actually the US/Canada Boundary. Went out this evening and counted 13 cows and 11 calves in out top field. Have seen them for the last 4 nights. There is water and deep dark cover off the fields for them to sit out the heat of the day. Have seen a couple decent bulls in the last couple weeks but have not heard any bugleing going on yet. Looks like its going to be a good year for elk hunting.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Hemi, sounds like your setup for good things to come. Whats the temp there now and when does your season start? What is your elevation? When do you expect the bugling to start? Man I could ask questions all day long and still think of more. Good luck this season. I hope you have a great time this fall. onebigelk(kevin)
Old 08-17-2007, 12:06 AM

Well...theres one thing for sure when hunting elk...nothings for sure!! just when you think you have them figured they change up or move out! I have to be really carefull on the shots I take because it could get ugly if the bull was to jump the fence into the US. Not sure how that would play out?!

Temp here has been very hot 30-35 celcius with no rain for a number of weeks. The bulls are using wallows on our ranch and adjacent to our ranch.
We are at 4000ft elevation wise. I would expect to start hearing some locating bugles anytime now for sure as we head towards the next full moon. The nights cool off to around 14-15 degrees celcius. I didnt see any elk tonight but did see a whitetail buck that would easyily go 160-170BC a real nice heavy horned 6x6. Also last night I saw a non typical whitetail that would run mid 150s. a good looking buck.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM

Hemi you got my mouth watering,keep us flatlanders posted.

[/align]
Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 PM

Heres my back yard..
Brett

Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Lets see 30 celcius would be about 75 F..maybe. It's been about 42 Celcius here in Missourifor the last week- setting record highs almost every day. Not your typical get out at mid day and do a little scouting weather. Also no significant rain for about 2 months. Gonna put a damper on the acorn crop i think. Sounds like you have yourself some nice whitetailsto go with those elkHemi. 14 Celcius sure would feel good right about now. I think we had a cool front move in yesterday i think it got down to about 30 c last night.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Brett, I must be the wolds slowest typer. You popped right in there. Thats a nice pic. Wish I had a back yard with a view like that. Been seeing any nice bulls there in idaho. I bet it's hard to choose which one you want. That was a good pic you had on one of your other posts about counting how many elk were in the pic. I think i missed a couple. Kevin.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think most people who live in elk country actually scout elk. If you know the country, why scout? Human activity will run the elk out of an area. Besides that, an elk can go 40 miles just by thinkin' about it. They ain't likely to be where you scouted 'em when the season opens. Maybe a hole to the right, a mountain to the left. I prefer to rely on my knowledge of the area, what the elk do when pressured, and where they go when their feet get cold. Scoutin's for people who don't know the area they're hunting.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:54 AM

I have seen a few bulls, couple that I might try my luck with, its nice seeing them in velvet.
Brett

Quick Reply: Elk scouting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.