Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What type of broadhead?

Old 08-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Default What type of broadhead?

So i was just wondering what type of broadheads and what weight you guys use for bigger game such as elk and moose?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What type of broadhead?

I use 100 grain inner-loc stainless steel broadheads. For the large animals, it just makes since to use sharp,well constructed, fixed bladed broadheads.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Yup you want to use a fixed blade for sure. I would take a look at Montec G5 they are a 1 piece cut on contact fixed blade.

Die Hard

31 Days!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting Muzzy MX-3's, 100 grainfor elk out of my Bowtech Tomkat.

And I'm shooting Muzzy 3 blade 125's for elk and mule deer out of my Horton crossbow.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:42 PM

while i am sure dozens will reply to the contrary I will give you my experience with elk. I had the idea of 2 blade old school head as a good choice for cut and penetration.jury is out after use with2 blade heads for modern compounds and large game. The facts (and yes this is circumstantial) are bull #1 18 yrds double lung 60 yrds and dead bull. good news! however the head was rolled over like a candy cane and the arrow did not pass through. This was a leading manufactured head and i still use them with my longbow, bull#2 lost bull with a shot behind shoulder arrow passed through and after 2 hours i kicked up a sluggish animal which should have been dead lost in wet underbrush it was thick but any muli blade would have had more blood. cow # 3 dead broad side same shot same place as bull #1 placement arrow passed through however arrow deflected to the rear and came out far back one lunger. look at the high speeds and thick bones of large animals and 2 blades may not be the best choice . I now use muzzy 3 blade with good result.