Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Re: B/P Cart. Guns

Old 08-10-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: B/P Cart. Guns

Does any one use the old blackpowder cartridge guns to hunt with. I want to use my C. Sharps .45-70 and Rem. Rollingblock .40-65 on deer this year.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Re: B/P Cart. Guns

I do too. I have arolling Block45-70 that I really enjoy shooting. However cleaning the brass and stuff for practice gets a little old.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:01 AM

James, glad to see someone likes the old ones. I find that I don't spend angmore time on BP brass than smokeless. Get a large laundry detergent bottle and cut out the top side opposite the handle. Put the fresh fired brass in it, fill it half full of water and half a cup or so of windex w/vinager(yes, it does exist) and shake well. dump out the dirty water and do it again with fresh water. Shold only take once if you dump your brass in a jar of water as you fire it. Dry it well and size the neck, prime, load, and shot again. love it. I use the load that Dave Hickenbottom (?) use to win the National BPCR soots with. He owns Lone Star Rifle Co. in Conroe, TX. Specializes in Rem. Rolling Blocks. Does great work. I find I spend more time loading my .45-70 than the .40-65.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah I often just use vinigar and water and drop them in the bottle as I fire them. Its just a lot of fun to shoot the old guns. I have a trapdoor to but seldom shoot that one. It was in tough shape when I got it and a gunsmith friend has made me some new parts for it.