Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cougars Going Extinct (So says ABC)

Old 01-02-2003, 07:16 PM

Default Cougars Going Extinct (So says ABC)

Did any of you catch tonights ABC story on the cougar, it was about as one sided as politics, I mean Journalism gets. It was terrible they said the cougars were in danger of extinction, and that the old gorilla girl jane what ever her name was is coming to stand up and fight for them. I emailed ABC at [email protected] we need to speak out about this it was terrible. They showed a cougar being shot and said that mountain lions are the only animal we shoot that are raising young. I cant believe them. What do you all think we should do.

Heres my letter to them

I have watched your news programs for along time. But your cougar story aired earlier tonight frankly disappointed me. If you story got anymore one-sided it would have been a political ad. Cougar numbers are higher than they have ever been. If you spoke to actual State Wildlife departments instead of environmental politicians you would have been informed of the errors in your story. We have even seen cougars in northeast Nebraska in recent years. Now if cougars really were having such a tough time would we be seeing so many lately number 1, and number two why would sightings be increasing all over states that haven’t had reported sightings in years. Cougars are frequently attacking more people and populations are going wild in states that don’t control their populations. The cougar really doesn’t have any competition anymore in wilderness. It is up to humans to control their numbers and prevent the cats from suffering from terrible side effects of over population. Have you ever seen an animal die from blue tongue, cwd, or any other terrible effect from specie over population? Please take a look at the other side too; don’t just put on one side of the story. It is a much more complicated issue than your 3-minute stories one-sided view showed.

Sincerely,

Nick
Old 01-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cougars Going Extinct (So says ABC)

I saw it and was shocked by it. I bet if they talked to the people in CA they would get a different story with all the attacks they have had in the past couple years and its getting worse. IT was just horrible to see that. I had to turn it off as I just couldn't take it anymore. They say that they are extinct in the eastern usa but I bet there are some being seen in NY and PA and I do believe that they are around and there have been sighting too that the game commisions wont believe no matter how much proof they get.

Brian

Old 01-06-2003, 10:27 PM

all i know about the topic is that in MT mountain lions are becoming fewer and fewer. my uncles both own hunting dogs and chase bobcats and lions every year. for the last 5 yrs their catch numbers have been going down. the reason for this is because just about every guy with dogs takes guys out to shoot the first lion they tree. so a lot of females are killed making it harder for them to reproduce. the fish and game has a part in this though because they have set the quotas for all the areas way to high on females especially
Old 01-07-2003, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

dunno how they are going extinct when fish and game has finally first handly witnessed one here in the great state of AK! Elusive might be a better word!