Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Altitude preparedeness or adjustment... What do you do?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Altitude preparedeness or adjustment... What do you do?

Going out to Idaho on my first elk hunt with a bunch of fella's that have gone for several years. I am a flatlander from Indiana that would like to be prepared for what may come my way as far as adjusting to the altitude difference. I have heard of all kind of methods that folks like me have used, from taking Bayer aspirin on the way out to "shut up and take it, your gonna feel like crap for a day or two".
Anyone have any experience with any of the probably hundreds of home-spun tricks?

Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Altitude preparedeness or adjustment... What do you do?

Here's a link to an article I read doing a google search.

http://www.frugalfun.com/altitude.html

Old 08-08-2007, 04:21 PM

Drink lots of water. NO BS. water helps.

Its best to have a day or two to acclimate to altitude before strenuous activity, but not alway feasable.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

ShatoDavis isn't lying, you are going to loose fluids like never before and you don't even have to sweat. The other thing is eat all day, if your sugar falls up here you will pay for it. Living in Colorado Springs since 1968 I don't notice altitude until I get up over 12,000 ft, but pay for it when I go back east to my home town in NY. Too much air, CAN'T BREATH.
Gselkhunter
Old 08-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I was just the opposite. At altitude I didn't feel like I was getting enough air. Like breathing with your head under the covers. Drink plenty of water or juice and watch the booze because it kicks you real hard at altitude. It took me 3 days to feel decent. I live at 114' ASL and was huntingup to10500' ASL.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Start walking/running NOW.....arriving several days early will help you climate.WATER...you will mouth breath and loose a tremendous amount
of hydration! Try several liters a day, an electrolite sports drink will also
replinish vital fluids.I hunt at 10k and this has worked for me for years....
also, pace your self.
JMO
Dan

Old 08-08-2007, 11:52 PM

Coming to altitude will be an adjustment for your body no matter what you do.Not sure how high you are going? The two bestthings that can help offset some of them are: drink lots of water, and be in good shape coming in. Being in good shape can offset some of the physical problems you will have with the thin air, but the effects on your body will be there. So, realize your movement times will slow the higher you go. It takes your body about 6 weeks to really acclimatize, but it begins as soon as you get here, so that headache will go away after a day or two. Bring aspirin, it helps. Beyond that you just have to suck it up, drink water and keep walking!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Shato and GS are right on the money.............Drink lots of water, sports drinks etc.AND..........Keep your blood sugar up. Most of us know how much fun it is to toss back a couple (or more) beers to celebrate justgetting to camp or after a long day of hunting.But if you come from the lower elevations.....and even if you don't.........It would be a good idea to limit your alcohol intake. Follow a beer or two with a water.Rule of thumb is that if your not pi$$in' clear or regularlyyou need to hydrate. If..... while your huntingyou start feeling excessively tired ( not just from bustin' your butt),start to get a headache or stiff neck.Get hydrated,get your blood sugar level up and get down to a lower elevation and rest if needed.

Have a good hunt and good luck.

Bill
Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Though it does help with the altitude alone, per se, you do need to be hiking up hills, taking as many flights of stairs as you can every day and keeping in very good physical shape all year. That's good for any hunting, but especially you're going to be really pushing yourself hunting in high country and working to get your animals out.
You do need to be drinking plenty of water and juice even before you get to high elevation and keep it up, even when you'r not thirsty. You will be loosing fluids. I try to each fruit, (dried and fresh), nuts and other non-processed foods that are easier to digest. Brind some of those along in your pack and a couple bottles of water to keep hydrated as you hike/hunt.
I can't say which pain reliever is the best for you. For muscles aches I take Advil. Headaches Tynenol or Aspirin.
Good hunting and stay safe.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

From NY, highest ever been is 1,000 ft. here. Went to Colorado last Sept. hunted at 11,000 ft. I read up on it, and asked questions. Definitly get yourself into shape. Thats real important. Run, and climb hills. I even suggest carrying a weighted pack, when climbing hills or doing stairs. The better the shape your in, the better off you'll be. I found walking uphill in Colorado for 10yds, and I was out of breath had to stop to catch air my first couple days. Do drink lots of water. I was drinking 4 bottles a day in the field, plus whatever I drank prior & after hunting. I never got sick, but did have headaches most of the time. By day 4 I felt more normal. I found Alieve to work the best on altitude headaches. You will get them. Beyond getting in shape prior you also can help yourself by arriving least day or 2 early. Take it easy your first couple days. You'll be excited, and want to go all out. But you'll find you can't, just don't have the energy or air to do so. So get acclimated slowly. Also don't eat large meals. Just eat small portions, but enough. Don't over stuff yourself. Reason being if you do experience any stomach pains, or diarrhea it'll make it worse. Also take rolaids, they do wonders on stomach pains from acclimation. Thats about best I can tell you.
Here's what not to do. 2 hunters were in camp with us. young guys, overweight, out of shape. Stuffed themselves with food at meal times. By 2nd day they were in bed sick as dogs, puking. By day 3 they were in truck, and heading home. Said couldn't hack it. Wasted alot $ on their stupidity.

Quick Reply: Altitude preparedeness or adjustment... What do you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.