Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

please tell me how to bait bears !

Old 08-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

Default RE: please tell me how to bait bears !

Just one of those things I don't care to hunt just like ducks
I'm from Arkansas, you KNOW those are fighting words, right ?

We had a terrible frost this springs - killed many nut bearing trees and fruit bearing plants. The Arkansas bears are going to be very hungry and getting into peoples comfort zone I think

I'll keep you updated and let you know how it all goes
Old 08-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Frost in the deep south....come on man. Sounds like you have been duck hunting too much and gone a little quacker.
Nice talking to you again Duane. OBTW another trip to Co again this year but didn't get drawn so it will be OTC bull 2nd season rifle for the 3 of us. Starting to ride my bike real hard just to go into it in better shape than last year.[:@]
Old 08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

I've located a place to buy 5 gallon buckets of molasses for $15 a bucket, 50 pound sacks of sweet feed for $5 .... between the two I should be able to make something work along with some Ol Roy dog food !

My elk hunt is canceled as of last night CI - I'm going frickin CARIBOU HUNTING !

Driving to Quebec in less than 3 weeks. can't believe I'm going - most excited I've been about a hunt in years !!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I haven't done the Quebec barren ground bou hunt but have gone 3 out of the last 4 years for a spot and stalk woodland caribou hunt in Newfoundland. The Quebec hunt is great one so I have been told and hopefully you should get into somegood animals. They are truly a beautiful member of the deer family. Are you going with the stick bow or doing it with rifle? The caribou I got were all great eating but I will caution you that if taken during the rut they can be quite gamey. The bad time to take them in NL is the first of October so you should be getting into some sweet meat well before the rut in northern Quebec. Bring some camo gortex and good boots because I will be betting you will see some windy rainy weather with possible freezing conditions so better be prepared. I always brought a decent sized day pack with layers of clothes. We would hike for miles going to a lookout and then spot until we saw a decent stag. Dress light for the hiking and change to warm stuff while on top and in the wind. Perhaps Quebec isn't as bad as NL weather wise but I think it will be. High 18” good fitting rubber boots like LaCrosse Burleys were the only way to go in NL due to the wetness everywhere. I bet the Quebec tundra will be the same. I pitied the guys that showed in NL with just gortex leather hunting boots. They were always going in too deep and getting wet. The terrain won’t be as spectacular as the Rockies but it will be really different than anyplace you have probably gone to. Good luck. Are you flying out of Montreal?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:24 AM

Baiting bears is easy. Find a trail the use frequently. With a spike nail, nail a can of oil packed tuna fish to the tree as high as you can reach, then hit the can with an axe to let out the juice and scent. Set back in the brush and wait.