Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Youth Hunting

Old 08-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Default RE: Youth Hunting

I'd go with the 7mm-08 in a youth rifle with a good kick pad. Seen many an elk taken with this set up.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Iam leaning toward a 7mm-08 or a .308.They arepretty comparable and meet what I'm looking for. I appreciate the input!!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:50 PM

I have to jump in here with a suggestion simply because I was so impressed with the rifle I had a few mods done to in order for my son to be able to shoot without fear of massive recoil.

First of all he cut his teeth on a Ruger 77 youth in .243, But we found ourselves tracking alot of animals especially pigs.

So to up the odds in our favor Itook a 77 ultra lightweight in 30-06and installed a mercury tube compensator in the stock and topped it with a de-celerator pad (at a slightly shorter pull than stock). Now he has a rifle he can handle with no problem (around 7 or 8lbs)that shoots 180'swith less felt recoil than the .243 shooting 75gr hollow points. Both he and my daughter prefer it over the .243 .

about a 200.00 modification, less if you do it yourself. I had the work done at KDF in Seguin, Tx.

FW
Old 08-07-2007, 12:25 AM

Feederwatcher....and all,
Thanks for the input. I'm going to look into that. Do you have any brands or specs of what you used so I have a more precise start point with this?

And I've got to say to everyone that has posted here thanks a ton for the input. I'm away from home right now, so it's hard to do research in person. I'm only going to have a few weeks to get my boots back on the ground before season starts, so this is all critical. I didn't want to buy my son a rifle too early as he has grown since I've been gone. So now my wife is putting rifles in his hands and sending me pics so we can see what fits him best. The input on here has sold me on a couple of options and I appreciate it!!! Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

From my experience, kids don't needmuch more than a basic rifle to get started. You want them focused on marksmanship, safety, and reading the woods and the game.

"Expense" is something we all deal with, and something that certainly oughtto be considered when you're looking at modifying anexpensive adult rifle to suit a growing youth's needs.Avoid the temptation to spend a little moreon the rifle if you skimp a bit on the scope. Nothing spoils a hunt faster than bad weather and badglass. The money you save on the rifle can be spent on ammo, trips to the range, or hunting licenses.

At his age, you're probably not going to be buying him the one rifle he'll always use. He'll no doubt be interested in the latest flashy bauble or caliber like therest of us are once he's old enough to buy his own firearms. What you're looking for is the rifle he'll always treasure as the one that got him started.

Get him started with a rifle he can shoot - first and foremost. Let HIM decide what he needs next.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:11 PM

It's really personal preference, but I would recommend either a .243, a 6 mm, or a .270.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:29 AM

Redneck, I don't own a .270 - hows the recoil on it compaired to say a .308 and a 7mm-08?