Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best way to travel between Denver, CO and Meeker, CO for elk hunting?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Best way to travel between Denver, CO and Meeker, CO for elk hunting?

Hello All,

This is another question related to the logistics I face for doing a drop camp elk hunt near Meeker, CO. (My other question in a different thread was related to the best way to transport 100 + pounds of processed game meat back to my home in northern Virginia).

What is the best way to get myself and my hunting gear to Meeker, CO from the Denver, CO airport for an 8 day drop camp elk hunt? The people that I am joining to hunt already have their transportation worked out in the form of each guy borrowing a car from friends,relatives, etc., with no leftover room for me, the group newbie.

I could rent a car in Denver and drive to Meeker, but then I will be paying an expensive (~$1200) 8-dayrental fee for about 1 day's total worth of driving. The car that Iwould bepaying a daily rental fee on would thenspend most of itsrental periodparked and unused. This doesn't seem to be an efficient use of funds.

I could fly in to either Steamboat Springs or Grand Junction, and rent a car for the drive to Meeker, but I would still face the same expensive and mostly unused 8-day rental fee.

There are no flights to Meeker, CO, as far as I can tell. The outfitter doesn't provide transportation.

Does anyone know of a shuttle service between Grand Junction or Steamboat Spring, and Meeker, CO? Maybe I could rent a car for the day of traveling to and from Meeker and pay some local high school kid $50 to return it for me the same day, but then I might get stranded in Meeker if the kid flakes out (plus, how do I arrange something like this in advance, anyway)? I bet a cab ride would be cheaper than renting a car, but are there cabs in Grand Junction or Steamboat Springs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--twofer
Old 07-25-2007, 12:11 PM

Default RE: Best way to travel between Denver, CO and Meeker, CO for elk hunting?

We hunt around Meeker. We usually just drive there but some people in the group have just flown to Denver and rented a car.

Atleast I think it was around Meeker. What unit is it?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best way to travel between Denver, CO and Meeker, CO for elk hunting?

I live in grand junction. did few calls on your behalf.

Cheapest I found was sunshine taxi, 970-245-8294. Quoted me $211 + 21 airport fee on pickup. No fee of 21 on return since not at airport. They have suburban, so gear ect not an issue. The have done/do it some times, not alot.

Couple things to consider: it will be closer milage wise to fly into Hayden, but you might pay more for taxi fare. But if I wear to give you a suggestion I'd call some of the Alpine Taxi type companies in Craig, CO or Steamboat see if they have any hunter rates or shuttles since ski season isn't usually in full swing for hunting season.

Next thing you can also rent a car on a weekly rate and just pay the extra 30 dollars for day 8 usually. You wont need 4x4 if your just going to meeker, but where do you meet up with your group/outfitter.

Call the outfitter, if he doesnt provide transport he should be able to give you couple places to try. If he cann't maybe you better check out some references for them.

cheapest airfare is probably to Denver.

And last but not least. if you want to go the high schooler method send me an email. lol my nephew is in Craig Co. You didn't say which season so he might be on the hill hunting with me depending what season it is.

Hope this helps you.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:56 PM

Silver Wolf - Thanks for the info. You have replied to some of my other posts. Your replies are always generous andhelpful!

I will start with investigating flying into some of the other towns you mentioned. Once I narrow my travel plans down to a specific town, then I might be able to turn up some local shuttle service.

BTW, I will be hunting Unit 12 during the first rifle season. I meet the other guys in my group on October 9th. I pack in to camp onOctober 10th, and pack out October 18th. At the costs I have been finding for car rental or taxi, hiring a localperson to provide a driving service looks better and better! All the better if it is a fellow elk hunter.

I'll post up what I find as I do my research.

--twofer
Old 07-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where are you getting your car rental quotes??? I did a quick search at Grand Junction for a 10 day rental on the days you would be there. I get rates between $300 and $350 total.That was for a midsize car.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:29 AM

txhunter58 - I must have been on an overly priced website because I am now finding rental prices similar to yours. Still not cheap, though.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to check the rental prices again. I am renting a mid size car in mid August flying into Denver. It is Enterprise and I am paying $201 for 7 days. I think an additional day is $29. Look at Expedia.com or Travelocity.com for rentals. $1,200 seems way out of line for a car for a week.

. . . Rob