Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Transporting processed game meat

Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Transporting processed game meat

Hi All,

I am all lined up for a drop camp elk hunt for the first rifle season in Colorado. I live in northern Virginia and will be hunting near Meeker, Colorado, in Unit 12 with an either-sex tag. Although no guarantees, it is my understanding that there is arelatively high success rate for harvesting an elk in Unit 12 during the 1st rifle season. Assuming that I do get lucky and bag an elk, I am wondering what is the best way to transport the elk meat back to northern Virginia?

I will be flying to and from Colorado, so I don't have the option of just throwing the meat in the back of my truck. Also, shipping 100 odd pounds of frozen elk meat would be prohibitively expensive due to the weight and need to deliver the meat before it thaws (at least I assume it would be expensive). I will have the elk processed before leaving Colorado, soI will be dealing only with wrapped and frozen met. Also, Unit 12 is not known for big trophies, so I don't expect to have to deal with a head/cape and antlers.

The outfitter has suggested I pack the meat home with me on the airplane in a cooler as my checked luggage, and she will send the rest of my gear home via a low cost shipper. This option would get the meat home quickly and cheaply, and sounds like the best alternative, but I am wondering what others have done to solve this problem. Also, if I do pack the meat home on the airplane, does anyone have suggestions on the specifics of doing this, such as the best cooler to use, whether to pack it with regular ice or dry ice, etc.

TIA.

--twofer
Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Transporting processed game meat

I've only done this once, so keep that in mind (hopefully doing it again at the end of Sept )

I had 200+ lbs of meat from a 4x5 full. I flew it home on the plane with me, cost was around $300 for the extra baggage. Another guy at camp shipped his overnight and he flew home the head/cape as well, cost him a bit over $600, but he thought it was worth it to know it was at home and in the freezer.

Check the airlines for specific rules, but I THINK generally you get 2 checked bags and 1 carry on. Checked bags must be under 50lbs or they cost extra and anything over the second bag cost extra. If you can ship home your bow and anything else you can, it might save you.

run the numbers to figure out the best way to do it, is it better to have 2 100lb bags (check the max they accept as well) or 4 50 lb bags??

I also filled my carry on (backpack) with frozen meat wrapped in sweatshirts, was heavy to tote around the airport, but made it home just fine.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:02 PM

Default RE: Transporting processed game meat

Fly it home with you. Dry ice is the way to go. I've heard of folks Fed Exing coolers of meat with dry ice home but it would have to be expensive since a small 5 lb package can cost $20. Airlines generally will allow extra baggage at a rate of about $2 per pound.