Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New to Elk

Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Default New to Elk

Short version, father-in-law and myself have a general tag for Wyoming this fall. First elk hunt for bothgoing rifle. Thought we had a family member acting as a guide that lives out there. May not happen. Need a back up plan. We were going to hunt around the Dubois area.Whiskey Mt, Wind Rivergood in October? any other recommendations? Not going to be ableto scout before. Just looking over topo maps then Ifound you guys.Need some info on alternative area andaccess points as well.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:27 PM

Default RE: New to Elk

If your gonna hunt in and around the Dubois area make sure you have the proper permits. There aresome areas between there and jackson that require a special permit due to the winter feeding (or something) program. Also in Dubois there are a lot of grizzs so bring bear spray. Lastly make darn sure you stay of the Indian reservation those guys dont like to see non-enrolled people onrez land. but to make a long story short I have hunted around dubois and if you can get far enough in from the road hunters, you should see some good elk.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:15 PM

Topo maps and pack your day packs as if your bringing for 2 people, make sure you know who's right handed or left handed incase you guys get split up. put everything in ziplock baggies, bring 2 lighters, jerky, and culligans water tablets. Compass, and each carry a small first aid kit......study your topo maps hunt not to far from water, and not to high.
Brett
Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think your best hope to be successful around (North and NE of) DuBois where I hunted several years with the fellow who introduced me to Elk hunting did, is to call out and talk with the local Conservation Officier and go only when you know they've had sufficient snow in the higher elevations. (PM me and I think I can find his name.)

Much of the areas where Elk are early are in those designated Wilderness. As a non-resident you can only go into Wilderness with a licensed guide. If you're planning to do that, fine. Otherwise, you likely need at least a foot or more of snow higher up for the Elk herds to move into the intermediate elevations there and to see fresh tracks and move to get around in front of.
You need to get back away from the roads, ATVs and people and expect to hike, listen, smell, glass, spot and stalk for many miles each day, in hopes to get onto Elk.
If you want to PM me, I may be able also to tell you some places we have seen and harvested Elk a few years back in that area. Of course, with the big predators in abundance, they've taken their toll on calves and the numbers have been down in some areas there in the past 3-4 years.
Still, it can be done.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 PM

Lots of griz in that country. Other areas around Dubois you might want to look at- Double Cabin, Horse Creek, Sheridan Creek.

My other recommendation- eat at the Branding Iron for dinner.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Call an outfitter. Money well-spent without a resident guide.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Spike

If there are Grizzlies in the area, I would definately look into an outfitter.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 AM
Spike

I had a friend attacked by a grizzlie in the horse creek area 5 years ago while hunting elk there . its pretty dry with very little vegitation this year and thanks to the wolves this year might be more competitive for elk as well as predators. Until they delist the grizz and the wolf wyo elk hunting up north is slowly declineing . good luck on your hunt!