Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Let's Here About Your African Hunts

Old 07-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Let's Here About Your African Hunts

Oh yes, Africa! I'll try to condense this as short as possible. Like many other hunters growing up in the U.S., I only dreamed about an Africansafari each timethat I read astory that was printed in the hunting magazines I read over the years, but then it happened. A new friend that had been over there several times started inquiring who would like to go to aSouth African concession that he highly reccommended and that was affordable. He said that he would go along just to video the experience for us. My one old hunting buddy agreed right off the bat but I declined saying that it still was out of my price range, and besides I didn't even have a what I considered an African gun.All summer of 2004 the topic kept being brought up with them prodding me to go with them. Well come Christmas, my wife surprises me with one of my dream rifles, a Ruger #1 in .375H&H. She said there was my gun and being that I was planning on retireing in 2 years, that if I wanted to go, I should, being thatthen would be the only time that I would possibly be able to afford it. Did I mention that I really love my wife? So it happened. With this PH, you only pay a daily rate and whatever animals you decide to shoot. He feels this gives you more opportunity than being stuck to a package of certainanimals. Needless to say, with 16 different plains animals to choose from, and seeing many everyday, it was worth it! The scenery was a lot like south Texas brush country mixed with large open savannahswith magnificent sunrises and sunsets everyday, the temps in the 50s at night and 70s during the day, the accomodations were fantastic, and the food was incredible. The PH's wife is the cook andshecould be a professional chef!Nuff said, I could go on for pages, here are a few of the 350 plus pictures that we took besides over 1 1/2 hours of video.

1. Black Wildebeest, on video 200yd. brain shot.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

2. Gemsbok, on video 250yd. double shoulder shot, dropped in tracks,bullet recovered

Old 07-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

3. Huge, 'estimated 1700lb.' Cape Eland, video wasn't zoomed in but still there, 175 yd. quartering away shot behind the ribs through THREE feet of lungs and heart, bullet recovered in the heart, perfectly mushroomed, walked 60 yds. and dropped. 270 grn. Remington Express Core-loks, There's no substitute!

Old 07-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Spike

Nice Wildebeest! Alacarte is a nice way to go. Excellent experience you had. Thanks for sharing it. Sounds a whole like my wife and mines. Where did you hunt in South Africa? We were in Komga. This is a shot of my Kudu Bull. It was getting dark! The video is better!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

We were about 300 miles west of Johannesburg. The outfit is Imphofu Safaris. www.imphofu.co.za The only thing we missed out on was there were no giraffe, elephants, hippo, or lion there. That might be a plus for someone who is a little nervous about dangerous game.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM

I've been there and you can see my pictures by doing a search on Archers Choice forum. I strongly adviseagainst a package hunt in RSA** they all look good until you get there and don't get an animal in the package...try getting your prepaid trophy fee for that animal back..ain't gunna happen no matter what they tell you even if it's in writing.A contract with an operator 10K miles away means nothing.
A good hunt can be had in the Limpopo prov of northern RSA. By all means stay clear of the trips to the Cape are of RSA!!!!! you may as well hunt in a zoo...animals such as fallow deer are offered thereif that tells you anything. Good hunts abound in Namibia. Namibia is the best deal I've found and I've been 3 times. As a rule the daily fees are better as are the trophy fees. As for flights from the east coast of the USA to Jo'burg if you pay more than $1500 during the high season you're paying too much. An alternative is to go thru Frankfort Germany then onto windhoek in Namibia or Jo'burg in RSA......I advise staying out of Jo'burg if at all possible when traveling with guns. also skip British Air and transfers in London...major mess.

A great safari in Namibia for 8 days and 4-5 great animals( kudu,gemsbuck,zebra,warthog)with air from JFK rnd trip shouldn't run you more than $6000 all in. And that's staying in a 5 star lodge with 5 star meals.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:22 AM

Having lived in South Africa for 4 years I certainly had my share of hunting experiences. From varmint hunting for baboons, to being charged by a rhino on a plains game hunt. I know a couple of good and honest PHs in central and northern of what used to be theTransvaal Province. One is a good personal friend of mine on the Zimbabwean border near the town of Messina. He does everything from plains game to big five. If you'd like his contact info just shoot me a pm.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: eagle chickie

A great safari in Namibia for 8 days and 4-5 great animals( kudu,gemsbuck,zebra,warthog)with air from JFK rnd trip shouldn't run you more than $6000 all in. And that's staying in a 5 star lodge with 5 star meals.
I suspect there's going to also be several $1000 for taxidermy fees, and shipping costs as well. Anybody got a ballpark figure on what that would cost on one of these "five animal" budget safaris?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

don't give him that info, jpsc is just going to take his .243 with him.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: eagle chickie

I suspect there's going to also be several $1000 for taxidermy fees, and shipping costs as well. Anybody got a ballpark figure on what that would cost on one of these "five animal" budget safaris?
Our taxidermy work was very reasonably priced but our importer was the one who stuck us. I believe it was around $3000 for 4 shoulder mounts and 1 skull mount. A lot yes, but if I never make it back, I've got these to look at and tell the stories from. It is worth it.

Quick Reply: Let's Here About Your African Hunts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.