Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Mule Deer Lottery Success-Need Advice

Old 07-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wyoming Mule Deer Lottery Success-Need Advice

I have been drawn for a Wyoming Mule Deer Lottery tag and have been informed that the hunts begin September 15, 22, and 29. I will be hunting about 60 miles south of Jackson Hole. Outfitting will be provided by Great Plains Outfitters. Can anyone give me any advice regarding which dates to choose? I spoke briefly with the outfitter who said he could not really suggest one over the other, except that the first would be more crowded. Apparently residents can get tags over the counter and hunt the area we will be hunting. I am inclined to go to either of the other two dates, but would welcome any suggestions. I will probably be using a Remington 700 BDL in .270 with a Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 as a backup with handloads for both.
Thanks.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 PM

Default RE: Wyoming Mule Deer Lottery Success-Need Advice

There's nothing like opening day. The areas south of Jackson open for gun on the 15th. Crowded or not, I'd still like to take my chances. Or, consider the second date (week) becausemaybe the deer will be shot at and spooked from being shot at for a week, but the guides/outfitter will have a better handle on the deer activities and where the big boys are. That's a tough one. There are pro's and con's to all three choices.
Residents can buy what is called a general license for deer, elk, bear, etc. and hunt with that license statewide as long as they are in an area that allows a general license.
The .270 would be perfect. BUT! You need to practice long yardages. 200, 300, and farther shots. Know your ballisics at varying distances. Especially windage. Zero in at 200 yards. Bring a good range finder. (Though the guide should use one) Hunting big mulies is a "spot-and-stalk" hunt and shooting long ranges is just part of hunting out here in the west.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 PM

Go with the later date, then you get hard horn mulies.
Brett
Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 PM

I also got drawn for elk and deer in Wyoming and booked with Double Y Outfitters for the first week...WHOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!