Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

After it's down questions...Elk

Old 07-10-2007, 09:03 PM

Default RE: After it's down questions...Elk

This was a little informative in the respect of how things are done differently by a variety of hunters, In ontario for moose proof of sex has to stay attached to the quarter that the tag is on.

In quebec the whole moose has to brought out to be verified only thing not required is the head, cut out antlers and leave the head,

I guess thats why we use a lot of atvs to do our work for us.

Any way was good reading
Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 PM

Wow, I apparently brought out a sore subject. My apologies. I think everyone brought some great advice, some of it preference and some of it situational. I can definitely see both sides of the boning story here and think time of day, temperature and distance to camp/game processor will play big roles.

To wrap up, I have been trying to go elk hunting for 2 years now and have had issues come up both years (new house, baby)but this year I am finally going.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me on this. I would like to leave it at that so that I don't cause anymore arguments.

Hopefully will have some good scenery/elk pics by Sunday night. Not sure iftheywill be put in this thread or a new one.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Tbrunson, don't worry about a little arguing when brutalattack is posting, it happens almost everytime she post. A good little debate makes it more interesting! Welcome to the board and good luck with your hunt!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, everone has made a point on how they hunt on there hill side. Brutal, Im curious about what part of Idaho do you Hunt and who do you guide for? Im from North Idaho, And I have guided for different outfitters, just curious to your background cause Ive never heard of your background. Dont take offense to it just inform me please.
HERE IS THE EQUATION : HIDE + BONE= MEAT LOSS
TIME+BONE= MEAT LOSS
NO BONE + TIME= QUICK PACK
BRETT.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: bsurplus2003

Ladies and Gentlemen, everone has made a point on how they hunt on there hill side. Brutal, Im curious about what part of Idaho do you Hunt and who do you guide for? Im from North Idaho, And I have guided for different outfitters, just curious to your background cause Ive never heard of your background. Dont take offense to it just inform me please.
HERE IS THE EQUATION : HIDE + BONE= MEAT LOSS
TIME+BONE= MEAT LOSS
NO BONE + TIME= QUICK PACK
BRETT.
He claims to be a lot of things. Lets see, he claimed to be a wildlife biologist/ wolf expert during the wolf debate. Also, claims to work for the Game & fish department as an elk exterminator(my term not his).For the life of me I cant comprehend why the G&Fwould want or need to kill as many elk as he claims to shoot but oh well. I'm not disputing any of his claims I simply will state that they have never been confirmed.

I really don't even mind him most of the time. Oh, we've butted heads a time or two (especially over the wolf debate), but it seems that his attitude rubs quite a few people the wrong way. He's definately a "my way or the Highway" sort of fellow. Alas, as they say, it takes all kinds.

Back to the subject: If it is possible to cool the meat quickly and you don't mind the weight there is nothing wrong with leaving the meat on the bone. You can make nicer cuts or better yet have a butcher package it for you. In my circumstances I've never killed an elk in a place that was easily accessable and I didn't have use of a walk in cooler. Under those conditions I feel that the only choice I have is to bone the meat, keeping it as clean and blood free as possible. Placing boned meat in game bags and hanging them in a shady spot until I get it all packed out.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

So far the only animal that I de-boned at the kill sight was my Yukon moose, and even at that, it still took 9 packs to get him to a pick up point.
To me, it's easier to simply strap the hind 1/4's and front shoulder on packs with the bones, and easy to hang them. Loose meat in one back, front shoulders in one bag, and each hind 1/4 in a bag each. 4 packs, and if antlers/cape are involved, they get strapped on with the loose meat pack since it's usually the least heavy out of the 4. We've never lost any meat doing it this way, including the elk in archery season.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 PM

I see, well opinions are like a-holes everone has one, as far as backing up your stuff I see your point, thats why I have my photos up for display at photobucket.com under bsurplus2003. If he chooses to have a bad attitude then no one will respond to his comments, thats just how people are, Ive never really talked to the guy so I have no hard feelings towards him. But you do have to back up your stuff, I agree
Brett
Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 PM

bsurplus2003,
Looked at the photos on photobucket.com-great pics.

Not sure what to say about Harry the Hampster!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 AM

Harry is another game animal....................lol its just plane funny.
Brett
Old 07-18-2007, 12:26 AM

I was lucky enough to come up on a father and son hunting when I killed my elk. We hiked 3 miles up together, gained about 2500 ft of elevation and when we crested the top it was a shooting gallery. My first elk I ever got. Bad news is the guys son was 10 and we had 3 huge elk on the ground. The good news is, this guy was a pro and showed me a way to bone the elk out without even gutting it. It is very simple, just stay clear of the belly and your good. Cut off the quarters at the joints and follow the muscle patterns when making your cuts. Unfortunitly where I hunt (Colorado)there is a problem with chronic waste, so that is going to cost you about 50lbs of useless head weight to carry, so the less the better. I had to make 3 trips up and down the mountain, and we still had to come back the next day. This ain't texas or Nebraska, you cant drive up and throw it on the tailgate. Everyone is tough until they feel what a 120 lb. pack feels like at 10,000ft. Don't be that guy. Good luck.

Quick Reply: After it's down questions...Elk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.