Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

After it's down questions...Elk

Old 07-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: After it's down questions...Elk

You didn't say where you will be hunting but Colorado has a 4 point minimum on one side and you WILL need to pack out the antlers with the meat to be legal until you get either home or where the animal will be processed.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 PM

BigBulls another thing they can do if they don't want to take the antlers home is to have it verified by a DOW officer. They fill out a form that they have and you no longer need the antlers as verification. That doesn't help with them not having to pack them out of the woods though.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:08 PM

Wow,
I didn't know I would raise such a spirited debate. I appreciate the heads up and how-to's. Hunting in Utah, General Bull hunt. Likely to hunt East Canyon if anyone is familiar. Closest access point is roughly 12 miles up Parley's Canyon directly from Salt Lake City. Very steep climbs involved, and will be doing everything on foot. Might be on my own, might have buddy with me.

Believe Utah requires proof of sex but can't remember if antlers are acceptable or if I have to have testes, have to recheck proclamation.

Won't mount head in all likelihood unless I have record breaker (I wish) Was wondering how the neck and neck meat come into quartering and packing.

You guys have raised a very valid point with the boning. If the weather is anything like it was last year I don't think the temp will go above 55 F on the day.

So much to remember and learn....
"The work starts after it's down" is definitely right!!!

Going scouting this weekend, see if I can get some pics.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:14 PM

To bone or not to bone, that is the question!!!

Never even really thought about it, people had told me that leaving bone in actually helps it cool faster, rather than letting one big pile of steaming meat in your bag fester.

I like doing things without gutting though, seems like it would make life a little easier.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

All good points here and all will work, each situation will dictate what you do to get your elk out. You are doing well by getting a game plan ahead of time. The ones that don't can face disaster.

For me, I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't bone the meat. I also use the controversial creek method at times if need be. With 5 miles to cover on foot, one needs to find the easiest most effective ways to put meat in the freezer. Not to mention the 2 hour ride to the nearest ice.

Things would be different if I had mules or was able to make a quick quarter jobs and get out, but time is usually not on my side and my feet are all I have.

I haven't seen an answer yet on here that I didn't agree with. Kudos to you and good luck on your hunt, I spotted my bull last week ;0)
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

No need for the self promotion. You can give your opinion same as the next guy. I think most on here are fimiliar with your "background" with out you reminding us.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 PM

In my opinion anyone that pulls the "I do this for a living and so know it all" trump card loses even more credibility in my mind. Especially when no one was even saying you didn't know it. Just disagreeing with your opinion.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Waterproof

In my opinion anyone that pulls the "I do this for a living and so know it all" trump card loses even more credibility in my mind. Especially when no one was even saying you didn't know it. Just disagreeing with your opinion.
in my opinion anyone that claims boning every elk out is the only way to go is not only narrow minded but also obviously incapable of getting it cooled off fast enough without having to semi-process it at the kill site.

So go head and shove your bloody bags o' meat in the fridge and I'll go head and carve nice fat roasts and steaks off my intact, unbloodied, cleanand perfectly aged quarters.

yep, which is why i rarely post on this site anymore. My opinons and/or expertise obviously aren't needed. You keyboard cowboys got it covered for the most part. I never claimed to "know it all". Thank God you got it all covered with your hillbilly wisdom. I'll just stop wastin my time..again.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:35 PM

Way to be BA I never once said that is was the ONLY WAY TO GO. However you can take your "I'm taking my toys and going to play in my sandbox" mentality. No one caused you to get your panties in a wad and if you get that butt hurt over what's been posted here in this thread I can't imagine how you can actually handle afrustrated client.

I have little use for ANY self proclaimed expert on any site and you sir are obviously trying to be one here with your statement.

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack
My opinons and/or expertise obviously aren't needed. You keyboard cowboys got it covered for the most part. I never claimed to "know it all".
Trying to push your opinion off as the only way to do something and when people have some debate with you stomp your feet and act like a school girl.

From the movie Tombstone "Well BYE!"
Old 07-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Waterproof, don't worry about BrutalAttack she takes everything way to serious, and she's the best at everything. If you don't believe me just ask her!

Quick Reply: After it's down questions...Elk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.