Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Trophy Wyoming Elk Areas?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trophy Wyoming Elk Areas?

Starting to plan an 08Elk, Muley hunt -- Does anyone know the Hoback Canyon area, just SE of Jackson Hole and the Tetons? I've heard some good things, seems like an incredible area, open to other suggestions for trophyElk in WY... thanks.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:59 PM

Default RE: Trophy Wyoming Elk Areas?

Maybe areas 84 or 87? Yeah there's elk there. But There is a lot of Wilderness area as well which makes access for nonresidents very difficult.Nonresidents can't hunt a wilderness area without a guide. Residents with a license can act as a guide. So if you know somebody in the area to take you in . . . fine. It's been a while, but I remember going up Granite Creek off the Hoback and were in elk quite constantly. I had a cow tag and did fill it, but the boys are where the girls are.

I think if I had to hunt the Jackson/Teton/ Yellowstone area (and there are nice bulls there), I think I would get into area 81. 81 and 84 have fairly long rifle seasons too. About a month. But 81 is big, the critters are there, and there is no wilderness making accessability very easy.

A well kept secret for huge bulls is area 7. In eastern Wyoming west of Wheatland and south of Douglas. Problem with that hunt area is that most of it is private property. Even within the boudaries of the Nat'l Forest. So access is hard as well. BUT . . . there are still a lot of public areas as well as Walk-In and HMA's. These are private lands that the landowner agrees to let public hunting. Area 7 has a very long season as well.
For more info on Private lands for public hunting/fishing:
Go to:http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/access/plpw/index.asp
Old 07-02-2007, 08:53 PM

Default RE: Trophy Wyoming Elk Areas?

area 7 is good, so is jackson area especially the wilderness south east of yellowstone. area 111 has big elk but hard to draw. 108 is also good for big trophies. I would say those have the biggest elk. check the areas that give few tags, those have the bigger elk. exactly how big of a trphy you looking for?