Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Hunting

Old 07-02-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Bear Hunting

Hey. I am going to try bear hunting this year in Northern Maine. I am going to be baiting and was wondering what to use as bait and whereI could get some. Any other tips would be great to. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear Hunting

Well I always just buy a cheap 40lb bag of dog food. And some cheap syrup. Mix it all up and there you go! You can also try those new bear bombs. It is an aresol can. I have also seen people go to the local bakery and buy all there old doughnuts. Just about anything will work. Popcorn. really you name it. Just set up the bait sight a couple weeks prior to your hunt. Then just sit and wait!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 PM

I have been baiting for along time, good stuff to use is dog food, syrup and I take a squirt bottle filled with half liquid smoke and water. Spray that around your bait and on your way out. Grease is good and I usually take 2 whole chickens in a bag let it rot and then poke holes in the bag, and hang them in a tree. High.......we take 5 or six bears each year and probably have 15 to 20 bears on the baits. how you refill your bait we determine when the bigger bears will show up. Some guys put a door on the hole so they cant feed at dark, Ive tried it and it does work.
Brett
Old 07-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

Ilive in Maine and we bait every year using all kinds of good stuff. Dogfood as mentioned works, anything sweet little debbie snacks, snack cakes, jelly rolls, honey buns etc which you can get relatively cheap from supermarkets or local stores if you ask for the out dated stuff. You can go to places like jj nissen as well and get a whole bunch of out dated stuff for $40.00 bucks or less. Popcorn also works well. Pour mollasses or honey all over the stuff just like the dogfood.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:04 PM

But you have to keep the bait up.....you can gather alot of stuff for free, from bakeries and bread stores. aslong as they can eat they will be there.
Brett
Old 07-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Definately keep it up like bsurplus said. Check your baits daily if possible and at the same time each day.This will get them to be on a schedule. Early morningis the best time to rebait because the bears will learn there is food there earlier, and come in earlier. There is definately a lot of work involved in it although anti hunters will say "how easy it is". In Maine you can start baiting a month ahead of the season. Put your tree stand in at the same time so any bears in the area will be used to it being there come hunting season. Get some womans tampons dip them in anise oil then tie the string to a branch up 5-6 ft off the ground near your bait. This will help to draw them in and the anise scent will last a long time. When yougo into your site add more anise to the tampon once in awhile to keepthe smellstrong.Next spray anise all around your bait site. Pour grease on the ground around and under your bait so the bears have to walk in it to get to it. When they leave they will spred the grease all over the area which can aid in drawing more bears. Wear full camoincluding amask. Not only good to break up your outline but the bugs are horrible at this time of the year and you will be thankful to have it.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:06 PM

YESYESYESYES..............grease. the more places they walk the more bears, also take a rake and in front of the bait rake it out so you can see a track, this will tell you the size. If you have a 4 inch pad then you have a 5 foot bear, always add one that will tell you the lenght. If the pad is at least 5 and 3/4 then your bear will make book. For its skull.
Brett
Old 07-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Typical Buck

I got a question for you bsurplus2003. How does that liquid smoke work Ive never tried it myself? Ive heard of people using it but I havent.Where do you get it?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:52 PM

The super market.....for meats works good
Brett
Old 07-05-2007, 04:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Also cherry pie filling works well, and you need to obtain a permit to bait for bears up here. If you do not own the land you are baiting on you would need a written permission statement prior to setting up.. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Bear Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.