Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Hunting

Old 07-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bear Hunting

Dont forget to put a 3x5 tag with all your info onto a tree near your bait in plain sight and secure it so it wont fall off.
Name
Address
Phone#
Hunting license#
Old 07-07-2007, 05:38 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys!! I own the land that im going to be hunting on soI don't have to worry about the permit. I am going to go to aJJ Nissenand try to get some of there old stuff. I know that there are bears in my area...my neigbor saw a nice one about a week ago.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:18 AM

Hello fellow bear hunters, I guide in ontario canada, we have a ton of bears, with only a fall season here, they don't get much hunting pressure,

we use vanilla to get the bears comming into a bait and fill the barrels with popcorn coverd with mollases kepps them commng in.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Spike

I live in a remote area of Alaska where everything has to be flown in by air taxi. So I have to get a seasons worth in one load to make baiting pay. I am currently experimenting with corn-oats-barley (goat food) because it runs a little cheaper than dog food up here. I get molasses and liquid smoke in bulk from a bakery supply house. Sometimes I'll try some bulk 5 gallon buckets pie fillings from them they work great but they are kind of expensive. For oil I use peanut oil with that has fennel seed soaked in for several weeks(fennel smells like anise but cheaper and not as strong) I figure it doesn't have to be as strong since it is mixed in the oil that every bear, squirrel, or marten that comes by tracks it over the country. We have a pretty good population of brownies so I try to avoid meat or meat based baits.

I got to know how do you pop enough popcorn to keep thing going looks like it would take a tractor trailer load? I'm always looking for a cheaper way to bait and I could put a lot of popcorn on a plane.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 AM

I buy my popcorn in bulk 80lb bags and use a hot air popper, it is a bit time consuming but at my camp in the eveing while sitting around talking i fire up the generator and plug in the hot air popper and fill up garbag bags with popcorn.
my kids also help out with the popping but eay half of what they pop!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Spike

kids also help out with the popping but eay half of what they pop!
I can see where that would a problem I have three boys who live for pop corn.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 AM

Yah but they will get full after the first few hundred pounds, only problem then is they want to sleep it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! just a thought might have to study kids behavior bears might have the same!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Spike

I like to use Molasses and Oats. Go to feed store and you can buy bulk Molasses and oats cheep. Also If you can get a hold of some Beaver casters, these are the scent glands on a Beaver. The Bears go nuts for this. Check with local trapers as they may have some.
Good Luck
Old 07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Spike

KAKKO how do you set up your feed stations with drums?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Wow a lot of this stuff I havent tried myself. Im gonna give it all a shot on different baits to see what happens. I know I didnt ask the question guys but thanks for the new ideas (well new to me). Bear season in Maine starts on I believe the 27th of august, so its not to far away. Im already dreaming big any ways. Also stocking up.

Quick Reply: Bear Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.