Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

EVERYONE, PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT!!!!! IDAHO WOLF HUNTING IDEA!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I think I have a great idea about Idaho..... EVERYONE, PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!

Swamp Collie, this one's for you

Okay, I may be flamed, yelled (typed I guess actually)at, and this may be a completely different situation, and if it is, educate me. Where I hunt deer, there are wolves. If you camp out, you will hear wolves howling around you at night. Go hunting, and you will see a few during the year. Yet, we have tons of deer (that doesn't mean I shoot one everyday though [8D]) I would think that a elk would have a better chance at defending itself aganist a wolf thana deer? Wolves and deer have been here for a while now, and while they're not living in sweet harmony, they are living together.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I think I have a great idea about Idaho..... EVERYONE, PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!

A deer runs faster than an elk. Look at the numbers, the elk numbers are dropping dramatically, and there's a negative birth rate.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

well konaboy your not wrong wolves and elk can live together. the problem atleast here in idaho is that wolves were almost completely taken out of the food chain. then suddenly reintroduced. it caused a massive ripple and thats what we have been dealing with for over 10 years now. im not saying that wolves are the only cause for the decline in the elk populations but i am saying it has had a significant effect, and no study or report will convince me otherwise.

if you want to say we need to "manage" the wolf population i would agree to a point. the problem is over 10 years into this "experiment" management is just a little late in coming.

in my opinion it is long past the time of management and removal would be a better option for wolves. so whether it be in a legal way like buying tags and hunting them or shooting them when you have a chance, either is fine with me but everyone must decide that for themselves. so if someone wants to send the hunters of idaho money to buy tags and do it legally all the better. but im not expecting a check and im not waiting for a tag.

SSS
Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I think I'm getting it now. In Ontario, I believe you used to be able shoot Timber Wovles under your small game, but now you need a tag. I can't say I've ever had the urge to, have hd chances. Had a big male Timber walk straight towards me from about 50 to 20 yards then parallel me to right past where my dad was sitting. Now I've always thought deer could be quiet in the bush, but that wolf was like a ghost. It was an amazing site
Old 06-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, we might have at least one person sending money to people in Idaho, possibly, so in a couple weeks, I'll launch a thread, "Operation White Fang", and we'll see how much we can do, and crappidly squat, I can't pay anything, if I have extra money I ain't spending on hunting equipment and tithe, it's going to be going towards getting me an NRA membership.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Spike

Tags to shoot wolves.......never needed one before......cannot think of any reason to spend money on one now.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Kona, wolves still fall under our small game lisences down here in "bad Ontario", its only in some northern WMUs that they are required.
I've never seen one south of Lake Rosseau, but a farmer nearby Orillia where I hunt has a pelt hanging from only a few years ago.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

yeah i like to self issue "tags" too. the official tags are still a long way from coming anyway. why wait? i dont intend to wait for some guy in an office in boise to say its ok to shoot a wolf, i will decide that.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: tschaef

Hey Kona, wolves still fall under our small game lisences down here in "bad Ontario", its only in some northern WMUs that they are required.
I've never seen one south of Lake Rosseau, but a farmer nearby Orillia where I hunt has a pelt hanging from only a few years ago.

Are you sure? The "reason" they have a wolf tag now is so that too many aren't killed where the wolf and coyote populations cross. There aren't any coyotes up here, so there should be no reason for the tags either.

Wait, there is a "reason." More money for the useless reactive MNR up here. [:'(]
Old 06-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just double checked the regs Dan, WMUs 43-45, and 59-95 wolf and coyote are open year round, no tags required, just a valid small game lisence.

Quick Reply: EVERYONE, PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT!!!!! IDAHO WOLF HUNTING IDEA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.