Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Planned Caribou Hunt this September

Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Planned Caribou Hunt this September

Hi Everyone. Been away from the forums a few months. Anyway I have a planned hunt coming up in September with Safari Nordik - http://www.safarinordik.com/en/caribou_hunting_canada.htm

I want to get an idea of what type of clothing should I have prepared for on atrip like this? I mean should I prepare for freezing temps? I would think ambient temps up that time of year would be around 50 maybe 40s at worse.

Just want to get a feel for what others have experienced hunting up in Northern Quebec in September.

Thanks - George
Old 06-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Planned Caribou Hunt this September

Late September you will almost certainly see freezing temps and probably some snow...

Early September will probably be somewhat warmer, but you should be prepared for some cold, wet, possibly sub freezing weather..

Take a waterproof, wind proof shell ( like goretex)and enough clothes to dress in layers and take off or put on clothes as you need to...Remember, if you are dressed to heavy, you can ALWAYS take clothes off, but if you aren't dressed warm enough for conditions, you will be miserable...

Good luck on your 'bou hunt...They are one of my favorite animals to hunt ( and EAT)....
Old 06-13-2007, 08:13 AM

Thanks I have been thinking of layering as key here. I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that it can reach near freezing temps at night and possibly 50s during the day. According to this site it is also one of the wettest months.

KUUJJUAQ- http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=QUE%20&StationName=&am p;SearchType=&LocateBy=Province&Proximity= 25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&I DType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&Latitude Degrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees =&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&Sel Normals=&StnId=6095&&autofwd=0

The exact dates of the hunt is Aug 30 - Sept 6th.

I am definitely planning on taking -
(2) Sets of camo rain gear (both Gortex one is light the other Medium)
(2) Sets of hunting boots (Medium weight and waterproof )
(1) Knee high rubber camo boots * not sure if needed at this point
(1) Sleeping bag (rated at 40 degrees and waterproof)

All my under armor and polar tec wear. I believe we all have to keep it to 75 lbs. I am going with 2 other buddies. It'll be a dream hunt for sure. At least for us.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good week to hunt...I was there the first week of September last year and the caribou were moving well...Weather was generally good, but it did get below freezing a couple of nights...

Seems you are going a little heavy on the footwear...I'd take one pair of waterproof hunting boots plus the knee highs....The camps up there are pretty warm and weathertight, so there is ample opportunity to dry boots should a pair get wet.... The knee highs might come in very handy, especially if you are hunting lakes and getting in and out of boats a lot..

Last year I took a pair of leather/goretex hunting boots plus a pair of knee high Muck boots...

Old 06-13-2007, 02:20 PM

Excellent! I'll be sure to bring the knee high boots. My Medium weight boots are insulated 600 gram. Should I look at 200 - 400 gram boots? I don't have any lightweight ones because here in the NE rifle season is in the winter. But I am taking up bow hunting this year and could use a light weight boot.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Did you do any fishing up there? I was planning on doing so and bringing up a 6' spinning rod with a few lures. Any recommendations on what people were using up there? Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

My goretex leather boots ( Cabela's outfitter series) are 200 grams thinsulate..

Not sure about the insulation value of theMuck boots.. They are RELATIVELY warm, but not for sitting for long hours at low temps..

There can be lots of walking involved, but you also may be spending lots of time glassing from vantage points....Boots should be a compromise as far as insulation is concerned..
Old 06-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as fishing is concerned, the fish are not real sophisticated, so most anything shiny will work...

Buy medium sized spoons, or inline spinners, and probably the cheap ones work as well as any.. Take a few short wire leaders in case there are pike in the lake...

Another good option if you are fishing for lakers or brookies are bucktail jigs or jig heads with plastic bodies...The color white is probably as good as any..
Old 06-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Great Thanks for all the info! I am getting so excited about this. Only about 2 months left.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Inactive

CT : Why don't you look or ask in the Regional Forums (other areas) there are hundreds of pages on Caribou hunting im Quebec. I am sure those guys will be more than happy to fill you in !!

Gary

Quick Reply: Planned Caribou Hunt this September

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.