Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I have a question?

Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have a question?

My question is about Alaska.I have herd that if you have family in Alaska you can get reduced prices on tags.Is this true and how do they determin this,brother-sister,cousins, aunts and uncles?
Thanks
BBJ
Old 06-08-2007, 01:01 PM

Default RE: I have a question?

Not true. You're probably referring to "second degree of kindred" regulations that allow you to substitute an AK resident relative of no greater than second degree of kindred (twice removed from yourself) for a guide in hunts which require a guide (brown bear, goat, sheep).
Old 06-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks thats what I was looking for.
BBJ
Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 PM

Hey Bare Back what are you looking to hunt in alaska ,I have done 3 hunts in alaska all DIY.

[/align]
Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I'm trying to get a few guys together to head out there. Might look into the Dalton Hwy Caribou hunt. Anyone done this? Pointers?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would realy like to do moose and a black bear,I was kinda fishing for a brown bear hunt.
I have a cousin up there thats why I was wondering.
Any info dayna would be appreciated.
Thanks3
BBJ
Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: RMA

I'm trying to get a few guys together to head out there. Might look into the Dalton Hwy Caribou hunt. Anyone done this? Pointers?
If you're looking for an AK wilderness experience, the Dalton isn't it. It's covered up with slob road hunters and you can expect at least one, if not several, others to be stalking the same bunch of caribou that you are at any given point. If you're going to do it plan on packing in and hunting animals that can't be seen from the road. If you've never packed in across tundra... lets just say that there are more enjoyable things to do.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:47 PM

I did the dalton hunt in 2001 ,I 'm with kodiak take a rifle and a raft ,cross the sag and stay on the high ground and walk the 5 miles from the road to be legal and to get away from the road hunters with bows.This hunt worked well with 2 people in a rented suv out of fairbanks.I returned to the suv nightly and slep in it.Loved it and the 500 miles long drive though the yukon valley and over the brooks range and out on the tunda. The moose I would recommend 4 guys to split the work and air taxi cost. I hunted out of dillingham ,the air taxi cost $1,060 one way ,thats $2,120 split 4 ways thats $515 each. I killed a black bear that wanted the moose while I was buchering it. Those hunts were the greatest hunts I have ever done.Thay aren't for the lazy and you got to love camping in the rain .Any other ?s just ask

[/align]