Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

NH to CO! Road trip!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NH to CO! Road trip!

Younggun, What kinda gas prices you got in Nebraski panhandle area. They are starting to drop some here in Central NY. But alot places last wk were still charging $3.20 gal. !!! [:'(]
Far as flying to driving. I figured driving is more of a pain. But its not really that bad if plan it out right, and make the best of it. Flyings quicker, but not sure its easier. I'd be way to concerned about all my hunting gear not making it ok. I'd rather have it right with me in a vehicle. I have too much invested in hunting gear to worry about it being lost, that'd really screwup a hunting trip!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

To tell you the truth, I haven't been there since August 2004,but I'm afraid neither me nor my dad remember how expensive it was, but realize, it was expensive backin 2004, and at this point, it will have risen along with the gas prices elsewhere in the nation.
Sorry I can't give you accurate details, I searched online, but Nebraska Gas Prices.Com didnt have any info for Chadron.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: younggun308

ORIGINAL: drs1961

younggun, what a coincidence. We are driving out to Chadron from SC in Nov. to hunt at the DD ranch. Where do we need to fill up before we get there? I'm carrying extra gas cans to help bypass areas with higher fuel prices.It looks likeChadron is in the middle of nowhere.

I hope you have good luck hunting up there, I take it you're hunting Whitetail, or Mule Deer?

We havecousins who run a hunting business up there,who are the owners of the outfitter do you know?
Thanks,the outfitter is Dan Casey. Three of us are going, two of usfor mulies, and the other for a whitetail.He said if you tag out early and there are still landowner tags available, you can get a second tag and go after another buck. One of each if you'd like. You also get a doe permit with each buck tag. Hopefully we'll be bringing backcoolers fullof meat.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should be able to find something to kill out there, my uncle is an avid hunter, and he hunted up there most of his life, killed a fair amount of deer and pheasant, and plenty of Merriam Turkeys.

Again, Good Luck, and when November comes around, be sure to post a story, and hopefully, some pics!
Old 06-09-2007, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: younggun308

You should be able to find something to kill out there, my uncle is an avid hunter, and he hunted up there most of his life, killed a fair amount of deer and pheasant, and plenty of Merriam Turkeys.

Again, Good Luck, and when November comes around, be sure to post a story, and hopefully, some pics!
Thanks, I'll definately post the results of the hunt. From the pics on his website, he has some pretty impressive deer. The Nebraska tags become available Monday, so we'll be talking to him next week and see how things are looking out there. I'll also post howthe drive out and back compares to flying. I've wanted to drive out west ever since the first time I flew out but that is aWHOLE lot ofhours and miles in a driver's seat.[:@] I'm looking for a large gel cushion and mapping out all of the Bass Pro, Cabelas, and Sportsmans Wharehouse's along the way to stop atwhen I needto stretch my legs.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 PM

Be careful driving. Last Oct. I drove from Iowa City, IA to CO to hunt the second combined elk/deer rifle season. I left at 5 in the morning, just outside Des Moines a big Dodge Ram with PA license plates towing a stock trailer loaded with ATV's passes me. Not five minutes later, the traffic starts picking up on I-80 (which is now 3 lanes)... morning rush hour is starting for Des Moines. All of a sudden, tail lights everywhere, I manage to brake hard and swerve left onto the shoulder around the chain reaction pile up appearing directly in front of me. The big Dodge wasn't so lucky, they were sandwiched in the melee, smoke coming out from under their hood. Their hunt and truck ruined; it was real wake-up for me. I took it easy the rest of the way to Fort Collins where I spent the night with a nephew who lives out there.

I'm sure it happened in a blink of an eye for those PA guys. Man, talk about a bummer.

Bugs
Old 06-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks bugs11, after just retiring from 25 yrs. as a rescue firefighter, I've worked so many wrecks on our interstates that driving is what I'm most apprehensive about. I'm going to try and dodge rush hours around metros. Most people out there do not have a clue how much of a risk they are taking, driving like they are NASCAR racing! I'll be so focused that I'm sure I'll have to stop every few hours to walk and relieve stress until I get to the plains away from populated areas.