Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose Calls

Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Spike

Default Moose Calls

Anyone around had experience with moose calls? I rx'd one I ordered today and esssentially all it is is a megaphone. In the instructions it states you have to vibrate your lips to make the sounds. No reed or diaphram at all. Is this the way all of them are? So far, I've had zero luck in getting any realistic moose sounds out of it. If I had it to do over again, I would just make one, with no sound producing device in it, there's not much to it. Thanks For Any and All Comments Ray
Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Moose Calls

Easiest and cheapest way to get a good sounding call is to take an old coffee can and drill a small hole right in the center of the bottom. Put a piece of string about 2' longor old shoe lace through it and tie a large knot in the end so it can't be pulled through the hole. Wet the string and hold the can with one hand and slowly pull the string sliding your fingers down it. The coffee can acts like a megaphone and the sounds of the string will sound just like the wail and moan of a cow. I hate to tote one of those around and can simulate a cow or bull cow just by using my mouth. They have good hearing like a turkey and can hear it at a long distance. Be careful fooling around with moose calls particularly during the rut. They will come to almost anything that sounds like the real thing and are often pretty persistent. Both bulls and cows are big animals and even a calf is too large to deal with unless you intend to shoot it. A few years ago while deer hunting in northern NH I was coming out of the big woods just before dark and saw a calf looking at me from a ridge in a stand of hardwoods. I was about a mile from the truck and figured I would fool around with it and let out a couple of cow moans. Suddenly the calf started to bawl and started down the ridge right for me. I just looked as my safe distance of a couple of hundred yards melted away to about30 feet and the calf was bawling all the time. The thing stood taller than I was and looked about the size of a small horse and was too close for comfort. I didn't want to shoot it since it wasn't moose season but it was scaring the crap out of me. I didn't want to take my eyes off it and blindly reached down to find a stick on the logging road. I kept feeling some and was yelling at it but when I tried to throw the sticks they were all rotted and broke in my hand when I tried to throw them. By now it was about 10 feet from me, still bawling like crazy and had a really wild look in its eyes. I finally got a decent stick and hit it over the back and that stopped it from closing on me. I slowly backed away and it just stood there still bawling. When I got about 100 yds away I quietly turned around and started to walk very quickly back down the logging road to the truck. I could still hear it bawling when I got about a quarter mile from it. By now it was dark and I really felt uneasy and continued to check my back track. I moose season was over and I figured it was probably an orphan calf who was still looking for its mother. Since then I see moose and always go the other way.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Spike

I've used ones like you are talking about made from birch bark they work good for both bull & cow calls Another trick is ti carry a shoulder blade from a deer, I use one from a caribou. Use it for both visual and sound; you use it to imitate a bull thrashing his rack on trees or use it to flash some color he'll think its another bull out there. One more thing if you are around water pour water in water so it sounds like a moose peeing in a pond.

Watch and listen to them when ever you have the chance and learn all the sounds they make then learn to imitate them.

Good Huntin'
Old 05-31-2007, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

Easiest and cheapest way to get a good sounding call is to take an old coffee can and drill a small hole right in the center of the bottom. Put a piece of string about 2' longor old shoe lace through it and tie a large knot in the end so it can't be pulled through the hole. Wet the string and hold the can with one hand and slowly pull the string sliding your fingers down it.
Actually I think it's easier and a lot cheaper to just use your own voice. There's no need for anything but your hand cupped over your mouth. If you need to know what moose sound like I'd recommend the videos "Love, Thunder and Bull 1 & 2" by Wayne Kubat.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:12 PM

If you are looking to learn how to call moose in get this DVD it will show you everything you need to know and more it's a very good DVD set off 4 in all www.gouthrosmoosemadness.com I hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

The majority of the time I just use a cupped hand and my voicebox, though times do call for a megaphone device to throw the sound better and for that I use my home made birchbarck call. Which also doubles as a visual aide for pulling a bull a little closer, as does an open bare hand if the shoulder blade isn't an option.

The best way is get either videos or audio tapes and mimic the calls. They aren't extremely difficult nor as complex talk like Elk. The best wayI can describe the calls in type is:
Bulls - OWWaaHH
Cows - Like a beef cow except instead of the Moo - ERRR at the beginning. ERRRRRaaaaaahuH! Very Nasal, whiny or pleading!

Technique varies greatly between moose callers sothe more you learn andpractice the better you'll beprepared when you may be on the edge of such an event or trying to coax a bull out. IME bigger bulls get wary as the rut progress they becomewary and tougher to close. The young, dumb and full of ____, are a lot easier to string along and finish.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

PS Carlton, etc did or maybe still make reed type moose calls however the ones I have heard personally wouldn't waste my money or suggest such to a hunter.

Good luck
Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 AM
Spike

On one elk hunting tripwe saw 4 moose, no elk. The reason I say that is we had a bow hunter with us who was bugling for elk. We put him in the middle of a meadow and had 4 hunters around at various points. Within 30 minutes if him bugling like an elk, 3 moose came into that meadow to chase that elk out of there! I always thought if I were to draw a moose tag, that would be one way to draw one in...