Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Measuring

Old 05-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear Measuring

Lots of bear talk lately. I was wondering exactly how you guys measure your bears length....ie.. Before caping, after caping.. from nose to tail tip, nose to base of tail etc..

My taxidermist told meto lay them on their side before caping and run a tape from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail.

Pic below of how I lay my bears. I run a soft tape down the midline from nose tip to tail base..

Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 PM

Default RE: Bear Measuring

When ever I measure a bear, I measure to see how much the bear will square. I take my measurements either after the bear has been skinned (with head out) or after the bear has been tanned. The first measurement I take is form tip of nose to tip of tail. (On the tail I measure to the tip of the hide not last tip of hair) Next I measure the width of the bear by measuring the distance across from both front legs, form tip of claw to tip of claw. Then you average to two measurements to come up with a square. That is how I have always done my measurements on a bear but others may do it differently. I hope this has helped you.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Default RE: Bear Measuring

I hunt almost anything but bears but I hope to hunt them in the future