Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY Elkhunt

Old 05-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default DIY Elkhunt

It wasn't too long ago I found myself wonderin how I was gonna keep a roof over myhead. But found out today that our department is expecting a 20%+ raise in pay grades, across the board. I dont make a whole lotta dough, but running the numbers, I figured out I might be able to have enough cash together this fall or at least the fall after, for a DIY elk hunt.

Other than getting my fat butt in shape, I'm wonderin if anyone's got some good pointers or some good links with information. I know Public Land can be rough for elk, but I wouldnt mind the adventure. Especially if I can talk my dad into goin with me. We havnt gotten to hunt together much since I graduated HS 7 years ago(yeesh already?) and it would be really cool. But I want to do it DIY style. Bow or Gun, dont know which yet. Just for the heck of it.

So whatcha got? Any ideas? What state, what unit, what equipment? Dish it out. I'm a Texas Whitetail hunter, so nothing is too basic.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DIY Elkhunt

ORIGINAL: Davoh

getting my fat butt in shape
That's pretty much the jist of it! In much ofthe mountain states public land is very steep. If you set your mind to it, it can be very rewarding.I don't know about any state other than Colorado. If you do some research you can find some fantastichunting areas on public land. I'd start by doing some research on the Colorado DNR site: http://wildlife.state.co.us/. If you narrow your search down to a specific state and or area their are plenty of guys and gals on here that will give you some in depth knowledge but you need to prove to them that you are willing to do the legwork. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

This late in the game you have to go to a state with over the counter tags. Do some calling around and find out which unit has the highest kill rate and get some blm maps of the area. then the rest is up to you good luck.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

I'd suggest looking into the Meeker Colorado area. As for suggestions, I don't have a complete suggestion as to the DIY, we've been doing the DIY for over 20 years our family, but we live out here and its a little easier being close. For first time, I'd suggest a guide or a DIY Drop camp. Alot of outfitters will provide a drop camp and point you in the right direction. Then come pick you up in XX number of days.

To give you a starting point here's a link. http://www.meekercolorado.com/directory/outfitters.htm

Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 PM

I may be new to this forum but I'm not new to elk hunting. First and foremost if you are planning to hunt elk, get in shape. It's very important. If you want to hunt elk you have to be able to get to where the elk are and more importantly you have to be able to move with the elk when you find them. (more so in archery season). Next I would learn everything that I could about elk. Where they eat, where they sleep, where they water. You also have to learn their patterns. Last but not least, if you want to be successful you have to put in the time. Not only in days in the field but also number of hoursthat you are huntingeach day. Your odds will increase greatly with every extra hour that you spend in the field. I know this is all pretty vague but I hope it helps. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.Good luck
Old 05-24-2007, 05:40 PM

I did a diy hunt by myself in 2003. LOVED IT. I camped on a BLM (lows were around 20 highs in mid 50's). It was still bow season in MT where I was. I heard elk every day. Saw a few cows. Saw LOTS of deer both mulies and white tails. I had never been before. Just being out in them was a great experience for me. It ain;t like tv though. They don't just pop up in any valley. Usually you are hunting one in a herd and that herd travels alot. YOu have to find where they bed and then where they eat. They usually eat at night and come back to the bedding grounds at first light. They may travel 2 miles between the two. Water when it's hot will help. That is if you can find some.

I entered the MT drawing and it was the second year before I got a tag. I started "getting in shape--- round is a shape isn't it??? When I got the notification of the win. I walked 5 miles a day with a backpack and boots etc. So by the time I got there I would be in shape... WRONG... I live in an elevation of 494' above sea level. The place I was hunting was 7K feet above sea level. I am glad I prepared but boy was I under prepared. Our Hills ain't nothing compared to them hills. I'd do it again and am planning to again next year.

Just remember... no pain no gain. Or pay me now and pay me later or don't pay me now but pay me a whole lot more later....