Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Google Earth and Scouting

Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Google Earth and Scouting

Has anyone out there used the Google Earth program? Its pretty slick, the wife downloaded it and I was playing with it. Its a got some pretty detailed images of some of the best elk spots in the country. Could be used for alot of different uses, but I'm using to help find new spots I want to scout this summer.

http://earth.google.com/

After I started playing with it, it allows you to turn the X-Y-Z axis's all around. Some areas we hunt seem to have low quality images, but others are pretty darn impressive. I doubt I'd recommend this if you dont have a high speed connection though.

He's a capture image of where I shot my elk last year. Let me know what you think.
">">
Old 05-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Google Earth and Scouting

Also took a look at the place we hunt Whitetails, pretty neat little program!

">http://

Old 05-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, Google Earth is the most awsome scouting tool ever. Shhh.... don't tell anyone though. I use this system almost daily.

Some people find GE frustrating, and eastern/midwesterners don't gain as much advantage from it as we do. I have met some people who just can't grasp the satellite image concept presented by GE, but hey, we're all wired differently.

GE is awsome!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:42 PM

Yah i use it all the time, be it to find new fishing/hunting spots, scouting, or just to get directions to somewhere. I love it.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree it is awesome...don't tell anyone but you can also use flashearth.com....and look at google, yahoo or others very easily.....i really like useing it but the biggest problem i have is that they are mostly older photos and sometimes don't reflect what is currently there....

anyone have a site that is well updated?
Old 05-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

I use the heck out of it. All the time I am in the computer room looking at current or for new hunting spots. From what I gather Google earth is a bunch of satalite imagesplaced next to each other similar to a plot map. Not all the pictures were taken in the same season. Some taken in Summer will be blurry and more green then those taken in the winter. The images are a few years old and are being updated but to have to update every picture of the whole world is got to be pretty time consuming and I doubt they will get to my hunting spots anytime soon.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

It is avery good scouting tool. I didn't know about it until after I had gone hunting in Colorado two years ago for th first time. I was able to locate exactly where I had been and where I had killed my first meriams turkey. I have been using it to help plan an elk hunt for this fall. I was able to locate an exact tree that I had sat by where someone had made a makeshift natural ground blind. Awesome tool.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use it all the time, for scouting and shed hunting
Old 05-15-2007, 10:27 AM

After seeing this topic, I went to check it out. I ended up spending half the day scouting for our fall elk hunt. Great tool and will definitely get us honed in when we go up for an on the ground scouting trip this summer. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:22 AM

i used it for my utah elk hunting trip. shot a 6x7

Quick Reply: Google Earth and Scouting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.