Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Would this be a good investment?

Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would this be a good investment?

I was thinking that since it takes so long to draw a tag for say, Wyoming, I was thinking that I could apply every year for a tag, just 'cause, so that if i get one, I have an option to go hunting in a great place.

Is this a good idea?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Would this be a good investment?

As opposed to just putting in for PP's or BP's you mean? The only down side would be that you acquire too many tags, and statistically that doesn't happen too often. Lets face it you can't hunt without a tag. Also, depending on what you apply for and where, you can shell out some big money. I apply in about 6 different states and annually send out around $5000.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just thinking of applying for a non-resident tag, in some place, and I suppose I would gain points every year or something, which slightly increases my chances, I suppose.

I was thinking something perhaps down-to-earth, like a whitetail tag for Kansas or something, maybe even apply for Mule Deer somewhere.

Probably wouldn't be able to afford elk, yet, so I was thinking something simple.

I don't honestly know much about the system for drawing tags, that's why I'm asking.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Most of the states have a preference point system.Which means that the more years you apply or buy a point and don't draw it increases your odds when you do apply.Some of them like WY have increased their prices for points so much that if you don't already have them you might as well invest the money in a hunt to canada or someplace you can purchase a tag.You should just check to states you are interested in and see what they offer.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

...usually when ya dont draw you get 95% or more of your money back and accumulate a point. Some game like sheep or goats take 10-12 points, so if you never apply you will NEVER get a tag. I'll start applying for sheep and goats next yr hoping that in 7 yrs(after I retire) I'll draw the tag...maybe.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:16 AM

thats what i would do if you can afford the upfront cost
Old 05-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there a directiory to the DNR listings? So that I can go to the websites and see the costs?

How much is the application fee? Do you have to pay for the tag before you apply?

I thought all you need to pay is the entrance fee, which I think is $12.00.
I have the feeling I'm ridiculously misinformed.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Every state seems to be different. Some allow you to just buy the PP's and others require that you apply for a tag and send the whole amount in. It is very confusing to start out. My suggestion is to chose what type of animal you wish to hunt in the future and ask questions from there. Also, calling the fish and game dept for each state and having them send you a big game regulation guide should help as well.