Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Getting bear hide back to USA?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Getting bear hide back to USA?

I am going on a bear hunt on 5/19.Best situation seems to bring the hide back myself.I was told that it is simple asfar as paper work goes. What about packing it? Are there general standards as far as airlines go?Iwill speak to Northwest and get the low down from them. I just want to hear other's experiences. Thanks, Kyle
Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting bear hide back to USA?

I think the airlines would treat it as if it were a fur coat, so you could fold it in such a way that it fits in a coat hangar, but the bear might be too big for that.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you fold the bear hide in any way shape or form you will get hot spots and the hide will get ruined for sure.

If it were me I would flesh the hide as best possible then cover it in salt and ROLL it up and pack it in a suitcase, the under belly of the plane should be cold at higher altitudes.

You could get a more solid answer down in the taxidermy column though. Get your ducks in row before the fact so you won't ruin your trophy, good luck.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:51 PM

I had mine sent back via a taxidermist... Already rugged out. I was pleased with both the job and the ease with which it all went together.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:55 AM

I too have done it that way. The taxidermist from the past is not doing international mounts anymore. He says the Canadian govt. has made things too difficult so he is only doing local. He said for me to bring home a hide, untanned, is simple. But, for him to do the work and then ship to US has many hoops and costs. Itseems cost effective to find a taxidermist in the States. My concern is transporting a skinned out hide.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:54 PM

Kmartz,
The way I have used in the past and it worked well. I take a plastic cooler that just fits into my gear bag, add a roll of duct tape. Place the cooler in your gear bag and pack it full of equipment or clothes, fill it as full as possible and finish stuffing your gear bag.
When your outfitter skins your bear, fold it, I believe, fur side in and put it in your cooler leave the lid open and place it in a freezer. Remember to place your skull in with the hide and make sure it will close. When you are leaving, take the hide out of the freezer and duct tape it very, very well. Your hide will stay cold and maybe even frozen until you arrive home. Find the biggest cooler that you can fit into your gear bag. If for some reason you dont kill, just leave it packed. I learned this from a great bear outfitter in Saskatchewan, Silence of the North.
I packed a 7 ft bear hide and its skull into a cooler and it made it home still very cold. Just tape it extremely well and if you have an over night layover, which I had that trip, just ask the hotel to place it in a freezer for you. You will have a charge from the airline for an extra piece of baggage on your return trip.Good Luck and Shoot Straight.
Z

Old 05-16-2007, 02:48 PM

Great idea ACP, Thanks