Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How much do you tip a guide?

Old 05-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default How much do you tip a guide?

I am going to Manitoba for a baited Black Bear hunt and I'm not sure how much I should tip my guide.

Ten percent seems too much, but five doesn't seem enough. The cost of the hunt is $2500.

Anyone want to weigh in?

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How much do you tip a guide?

First of all I’m glad you asked the question. I have never been on a guided hunt before but the question had me wondering what is appropriate? Let’s see…you tip the waiter who slops your food down on the table between 15 and 20% and that’s for just a few minutes’ of service and in the end what have they really done for you? Then if you stay in a hotel/motel for any period of time you have a maid come in and clean your bathroom, make your bed and take out the trash and most of the time we leave nothing. Two different ends of the spectrum…so what do you tip a guide for his services? He helps you find your animal, wrangles the horses, gut, loads and packs out your animal, then tries to make sure you have a fantastic time. To me 10% seems small and 20% seems a little high but, think about all that was done for you and on your behalf.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been on a guided big game hunt, but it seems like it would depend on the service you recieved, his professionalism, and how many days he spent with you.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

seems like it would depend on the service you recieved, his professionalism, and how many days he spent with you.
10-4!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Bowflex

The cost of the hunt is $2500.
Bowflex
15%.......depends on the service you recieved, his professionalism, and how many days he spent with you.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tip what makes you comfortable. It is not like the waitress at the restaraunt, her tips are figured into her hourly wage.

Guides are paid a flat salary fee and tips will be greatly appreciated and even expected by some. My suggestion would be to ask the outfitter his opinion.

the issue I have with a flat % number is that not all guides or hunts are created equal. A baited bear hunt where you will be driven to your stand, left alone, then picked up, if you are lucky to get a bear, they will help track and get the bear out of the woods.

On a hunt like an elk hunt the guide is with you all day long.

The two efforts are not equal, and personally I wouldn't treat them as equal.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

On a guided hunt I tipped the cook $60, my guide $150 and the cowboy that skinned out my elk $20. Everyone was happy, including myself.

This was a $3000 fully guided hunt.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Go with what feels right. Don't get hung up in the % business. If the food is good tip the cook what you feel is appropriate. think about if you had ate out those meals, you would have tipped a few dollars at each meal so 50 bucksfor a weekisn't outrageous. If your guide works hard for you tip him a c note or two.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the repsonses.

This is a little different than most guided hunts in that we will be staying in town, meals and lodging are part of the package. We will tip the servers, but not at 15-20%. Probably a couple bucks per meal. Same goes for the housekeepers that will make up and clean our rooms. I appreciate how hard these people work and the crappy wages they make.

I know the Outfitter and guides work hard at establishing and keeping the bait stations stocked. And, its a lot of work after the hunt to get the animal out and skinned. I suppose something like $100-$150would be appropriate. Again, depending on the service provided.

Good Hunting,
Bowlfex
Old 05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I tip dependent on the level of service. If theguide goes above and beyond I tip 20%. If the guide didn't work hard for me I wouldn't tip anything. A tip should show your appreciation of a job well done regardless of animals harvested since it is hunting (fair chase I hope). My outfitted hunts have always gone well and I gave a generous tip to show my appreciation. I alwaysd tip the cook.

Quick Reply: How much do you tip a guide?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.