Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How much do you tip a guide?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 AM

Default RE: How much do you tip a guide?

"The s.o.b. stiffed me!"
"The bastard can't hit anything!"
"Did you see that guy's wife? . . . I'd like to take her out and........"
Well . . . just some of the "behind the scenes" comments.
I just know this area for what is expected of the guide due to the type of hunting here. It's tough sometimes. And if you do your homework and research an outfitter, you should do pretty good.
Around here you might be hunting above 10,000 feet, t-shirts in the morning / and snow boots by nightfall. The drought can really screw things up. Up and down terrain to get to and out of that honey hole.
An outfitter/guide will earn his tip in this country. I see hunting shows where the outfitter drives up on an ATV, dumps some grain and molassis on the ground, and waits for the hunter to call him on the radio when he gets his bear. I'm thinking the best tip you could give him is, "NEVER PET A BURNING DOG!"
Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem tipping when sincere effort has been expended on my behalf.Twice in my life I have been on guided hunts,twice I have given tips.First guided hunt the outfitter was a thief who allowed all his guides to hunt at the same time the clients were hunting and then they attempted to conceal their kills from us suckers.Class act,I still tipped the cook it wasn't her fault he was a thief.
Second guided trip One on one with the outfitter,I knew the guy flat out lied to me when prior to booking with him when I had asked about Winter kill,he told me his area had not been effected.We saw a total of three deer in 6 days of walking and glassing,we were walking 10 plus miles per day.I still tipped him because he worked his butt off,he really tried to put me on game,he just couldn't find it and he knew why.Unfortunately some learning experiences are expensive and emotionally painful.An outfitter has to pay their bills whether there is winter kill or not,or whether a host of other things have happenned which can influence your hunt.I doubt I will ever use an outfitter again,my DIY hunts over the last 8 years have been a blast.If I do I will research the snot out of it.
I feel sorry for the smaller outfitters in a way because of the difficulty of finding good consistent help.Some outfitters are lucky to get two seasons out of a guide,how well can they know the country if that is the case?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:43 AM

tsoc in some state/areas/countries it is mandatory to hire a guide if you are a NR. I toolove my own DIY hunts and have taken 2 or 3 a year out of my home state many times over my hunting career.
Of late I've gotten into DG hunting in southern & eastern Africa. The option to tip is just that and option but you mustuse a PH whom is employed thru a safari company because of quota animals.
Like I've oftensaid I'm not after life long relationships with a guide, andbeing female I've endured more offers for tent partners and pats on my ass than I care to recall from guides whom expected a generous tip at trip's end...then I exercise my option and leave them "stiffed". EC