Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Blow Up Big Game?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Blow Up Big Game?

I read a tid bit/tip in Outdoor Life regarding the skinning of big game by using a bicycle pump and I thought I would share it with you to see what you think?

1. "Make a small incision in the animal's hide and insert the pump's needle between the skin and muscle tissue."

2. "Slowly start pumping to separate the die from the animals carcass. Complete one section at a time."

3. "Take care not to insert the needle into the muscle or body cavity or you could end up covered in guts."

Old 04-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blow Up Big Game?

I've never heard of this but it sounds interesting. Not sure I want to carry a bike pump up and down mountains in the elk woods though. Also sounds like it might take longer than the regular way. Then again it mightmake for acleaner hide for taning.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM

I don't know about furred animals but I know a guy that does
uses an air compressor on snapping turtles.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAHAHAHAHA...
Old 04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Better yet.... lug a compressor in to speed up the process. I guess I'll stick with my knife, wyoming saw and pack frame.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 PM

I have heard people useing their raft pump to inflate moose to get them to float a little shallower ,to help get it closer to shore.Hey islander check out the browning ulta lite saw, I gave my wyoming saw away after getting the browning.

[/align]
Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Roger that
Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

I have heard people useing their raft pump to inflate moose to get them to float a little shallower ,to help get it closer to shore.Hey islander check out the browning ulta lite saw, I gave my wyoming saw away after getting the browning.

[/align]
Pure insanityI love my Wyoming Saw. It is about as old as I am and still works like a champ. If anyone else is giving away Wyoming Saws please send them to me
Old 04-25-2007, 08:13 AM

I HAVE A HARD TIME SEEING THAT WORKING
Old 04-25-2007, 09:39 AM

Sounds like typical ODL BS.

On a side note I seen the easiest way to skin deera couple of years ago. when you have your deer hanging from the meat pole skin down a foot or so of hide, cut around legs and split thelegs up to the belly. Place a golf ball in the hide. Tie a noose knot over the hide and ball. Hook rope to four wheeler and go.Pulls the hide offslick as can be in a couple ofseconds.

Quick Reply: Blow Up Big Game?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.