Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why bear hunt?

Old 07-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why bear hunt?

As long as we are philosophizing...well heck why Bowhunt? My five years of bowhunting have given me the opine thatmost archers today are a bunch of elitist technocrats with 1200.00 bows and little chance of success if it aint over a water hole or bait station.

I'd rather bear hunt in PA (no bait cans allowed) with my r.i.f.l.e.s. My only experience with bear-ka-bob and bear steak was culinary excellence. Any game is bad if you dont care for it proper.

I think it's counter productive to ask why others do things in forums like this that are here to promotehunting and get us off our big dead .sses and away from American Idol and PacMan.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Spike

Black bear is some of the best meat going. If you get them in the fall when they are hitting the berry patches it don't get no better. I've been guiding black bears form bait stands for several years there times I just sit and watch them. I've seen as many as 5 or 6 at one time you can learn a lot about bears just watching them interact with each other. I would rather watch bears from a bait stand than watch TV.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Typical Buck

Bear meat is good IMO. Baiting isnt easy either. There is a lot of work in it.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: maks_daddy

I'm new to colorado and my hunting doors have opened, from the tradutional whitetail and turkey to a plethera of game. I'm very anxious to start elk hunting in a few years as well as mule deeer and possibly moose. i just don't understand why people bear hunt. it jsut seems like you wait in a stand and shoot it when it comes to the bait. i may be missing something and probably am, but why do you bear hunt. can you eat the meat, i've been told it's bad and has a high probability of having worms or parasites.
So is it unethical to hunt deer over a corn or soybean field? it is just how a lot of people kill bears. the meat can be okay if prepared right, a little fatty but still good. We have to control the herd somehow, hunters are the best conservationists.