Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bow vs. Rifle Hunting

Old 12-13-2002, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bow vs. Rifle Hunting

I recently bought a bow and I plan on hunting elk and deer next year with it. I was shocked when a hunting partner of mine for nearly 10 years scolded me, saying bow hunting is unethical. He has hunted with a rifle since he was 14 but he says when an animal is shot with a bow it only suffers and is not clean kill. I'd like to know what you all think about that. It don't think theres much difference at all. We've been shootin animals for hundreds of years with a bow.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:57 PM

Default RE: Bow vs. Rifle Hunting

What's unethical is a bow hunter that takes a shot that is not going to result in a double lung hit (or close to it). Seen too many animals with darts stuck in the hams! A rifle offers a little more room for error, but there are plenty of animals wounded every year with rifles because of yahoos taking shots they shouldn't. IMO, regardless of caliber, bow or rifle, if you aren't POSITIVE of clean kill.. pass on the shot. The majesty of these animals deserves at least that!
Old 12-13-2002, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

First of all youre buddy needs some education on other forums of hunting and shouldn't be scoulding or toting any anit-hunting lines. Second of all congrats on your new bow, you'll have lots of fun and it will...I mean Will make you a better rifle hunter!!!!

A rifle kills by way of shock and energy transfer. When the bullet travelling at high speeds hits a deer/elk, etc it produces shock to the animal and devasting damage. A bow kills via the wound it self, hemoraging, etc. It is travelling at a much slower rate but and doesn't produce the shock or devastation. Thus the need for accurate shoot placement and limited shooting angle with a bow. It is very lethal and I have seen it take down animals as quickly as a rifle. Many guys have deer run 50-100 yards with a lung shot and a rifle, the bow many will experience with a doublke lung shot deer travelling 20-150 yards. I have also seen animals stand their after piercing the Lungs and only mange a few step...other times they'll bolt and crash with in eye sight.(again very similar to a rifle)

Personally I think with a good vital hit the bow is probably more clean than the rifle...no devastation and just clean on through. Where bow hunting gets a bad rap is it takes more skill and thus poor shots can occur and wounded animals may escape or go for a long run. However I have seen many a bad shot taken by the rifle hunter, the difference is most times the shock and expansion of the bullet helps in the finding of the game...this can't be considered clean or ethical...just luck or power. If you limit yourself to vital hits and distances to your shooting capability the bow will produce the same results as any rifle. It is more rewarding having to put yourself within 20, 30 yards of the game, being able to check the nerves and wait for the perfect opp. Then excute and collect your prize...IMO. I love all types of hunting and with each comes a different challenge...but the bow is tops for the whole experience and it really will make you a better hunter...simple you have to be to get closer!!

I hunt moose and bears exclusively with my bow...so tell me it isn't lethal, ethical and quick.

Have fun and tell your pal don't knock it till you try it and get all the facts. Practice and patience are keys to all hunting, but a bow will teach more than you ever thought possible. You watch you'll have a deer and your trusty rifle at 100 yards, but you don't have that perfect shot and you'll wait....it happens. Guys who hunt with a bow, am I wrong?

Old 12-13-2002, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Being a die hard bowhunter myself of course I'm going to opt for the bow any day. There are many reasons why. First of all let it be known I don't have anything against rifle hunting. And yes the bow is a very lethal weapon even at low poundage. Killing an animal quickly and humanely is something we all want, regardless of the weapon. A well placed shot can be accomplished by both. You just have to be a lot closer with a bow and that in itself can be a real challenge and an awesome rush. One that is totally different than a rifle kill. You'll have a whole new excitement about hunting as well. You said you already bought a bow, now you'll experiement with different types and weights of arrows, broadheads,(muzzys of course)arrow rests, release or finger shooter, the list goes on. You'll enter the elk woods next year like a kid with a new toy. As far as elk hunting goes, hunting them with a bow requires a different strategy than rifle hunting does. The kill zone is still the same. You'll owe it to the critters to do plenty of practicing so you know what your effective range is. So become familiar and more importantly confident with your equipment and you will do fine. Remember when all else fails bugle aggresively. Enough said! elknut.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-14-2002, 08:12 AM

A bow makes you a better hunter, there's no better way of saying it....... I've seen more wounded(suffering) animals from guns then I have from bows, but again it comes down to practice and shot placement. How far you are comfortable making a shot has alot to do with it, don't try any mabey shots. Double lung, or heart shots are the way to go. I hunt everything from turkeys to elk with my bow and I love it. As far as a clean, humane kill??? My elk this year, a Montana 4x5 was shot at 18 yards dowhill, the arrow made a complete passthrough took out both lungs, It stood there for about 10 sec. before running 40 yrds. and piling up, we heard it fall. Can you say "What a Rush".........
All I can say is that you will see more game and have more fun with your bow then any gun you ever had, good luck.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

We'll I guess enough was'nt said especially after MADDMATTS story. First I'd like to say awesome job on a nice bull to MADDMATT. It's stories like that you just do'nt get from rifle huntn, and rarely do you get a second shot to finish him off with a bow. In his case he did'nt need it. But RATHER B HUNTN things don't always go that smooth, on the flip side there's that one ingredient that come's up on new bowhunters and some old and that's the excitement level that's uncontrolable in the heat of the moment,especially with elk. With bowhunting you'll have ten times the experiences in one year than you'd have with rifle huntn, that's why you hear so many comments from other bowhunters that say once you try it you'll be hooked, again I am refering to elk huntn. (is there anything else) I have a story from last years hunt that's a little different. My son had bugled a bull in for me and I saw him coming in at about 70 yards away walking fairly quick toward his bugling, I was calm as he approached, at 40 I drew back, he was going to pass me at about 25 I figured when he did I would cow call with a reed I had in my mouth, he did and I called. NOTHING didn't even phase him. What would YOU have done, maybe take a quick shot at one you thought might be out of range in just a couple more steps, if you do may be you take him cleanly, maybe you hit a little far back, never find him and that adds fuel to the fire if a rifle hunter finds him during his hunt. As innocent as it may seem, I believe this type of thing happens much more than irresponsible guys taking 70 yard shots. Only experience and info like this from experienced bowhunters help to make wise decisions, such as this, before they ever come up. So when those snap decisions come up, you'll show good instincts in what to do. In my case, I immediatley called again and that stopped him DEAD. So yes a bow is a lethal weapon. Hunting deer and elk with a bow will bring you many awesome memories. I say go for it. elknut