Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Place for Moose

Old 03-28-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Best Place for Moose

hey all

From Colorado and i know we don't have too many moose here, so i was wondering where the best place to shoot a trophy moose and where is the best state for numbers. i ask all this in your opinion not that it makes a difference i'd like to get a bow kill.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Place for Moose

If i could get the tag for in CO...I am pretty confident I could fill it. There are more moose here than you think....jus do not give away very many tags.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:53 AM

If you want a giant moose Alaska is the place. You can check out my website at drhuntingadventures.com for a great alaskan moose hunt.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 03-29-2007, 11:56 AM

where do you go for moose in CO, and i'm assuming they are Shires Moose

Old 03-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes they are Shiras Moose and we see alot of them around the Walden area.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Your best option to draw a moose tag in the lower 48 is Idaho! They have the best odds and A really great set of opportunities to take moose. Check units 7,8,9,10 with 7 being my favorite.. Take a look at the entire unit and focus on the areas around water. I have seen several Shiras over 55 inches. There are some other units to check into and if you are really looking for the best advise on applying for this hunt call Jenny Carter at www.huntinfool.com. Jenny is incredibly easy to work with and they handle all of my application work across the west and have done an excellent job at keeping me applying and in the draws for the animals I want to hunt.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 AM

There are alot of options for you to take a moose with your bow. Alaska as another mentioned, has the best average trophy potential. I say average potential, because just about anywhere moose are hunted can produce big moose, but the biggest moose in Alaska are bigger than the biggest moose just about anywhere else. Also, there are more moose over the 50" range in Alaska than anywhere else.

British Columbia and the Yukon Territorries are the next best place. The moose there are of the same Alaskan/Yukon subspecies in the areas that border Alaska, and the hunts are generally less expensive. The country is remote and hunts here are a true wilderness experience.

Central Canada has great numbers of moose and is an ideal place for a bow hunt, as the country is thicker than out west, so you are able to get in range easier. The moose here are not as big as out west, but you can reasonably expect a 45" plus moose, and moose in the mid 50's are very possible. A rut hunt where the guide will call them to you is a very exciting hunt and will get them in close.

Newfoundland has the highest moose densities and is a great place to take a moose. Average trophy potential is not as high as the other areas, but big moose are possible and success is virtually guaranteed.

I hope that info helps as you consider a hunt. We book hunts for outfitters in all of those regions, so if we can help you out with more info as you consider a hunt, we would be glad to help. Good hunting to you.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Northern Ontario, Northern Quebec, Northern Alberta, Norhtern BC, the Yukon or Newfoundland.Alaska too but you'll be paying American dollars up there rather thanCanuckistan Peisos.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 AM

try idaho
Old 04-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

For the biggest no doubt about it Alaska is the place to be. Here in Maine you can get a big trophy moose as well. Canada? There is so many restrictions and all that to get through and then to bring one back with you. I would try to keep it in the states and the Canadian dollar is almost the same as our right now as our dollar has dropped so much. If you get to go on a moose hunt good luck to you.

Quick Reply: Best Place for Moose

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.