Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

needing gear

Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 PM

Default needing gear

Hello all,

Brand new to the site.
I have a unique opportunity to go on a dall sheep hunt as a packer this August, and couldn't be happier. However, my list of item needed is huge. Does anyone have gear from one of these hunts they might want to sell at a discount to a starving dad of 4 going on the hunt of his life...........lol. My email is [email protected] if anyone have any hints. Thanks for any help in advance.

Joe

Old 03-24-2007, 12:19 AM

Default RE: needing gear

I didn't need much when I went as a packer. 3 pairs of underwear. One pair of socks for each day. Rain gear (save room by buying quiet waterproof pants and jacket so you don't need to pack rain gear in addition to other outerwear), waterproof boots with STIFF soles (like vibram), sleeping bag, a couple of shirts to layer with, and a survival kit. You'll also want a good backpack.

I picked up everything for cheap from places like sierra trading post (sierratradingpost.com). I got gore-tex boots for $20, a silent 10x gore-tex jacket for $60, and silent waterproof pants for $30. I took a button-up wool shirt from home along with one or two other shirts and my minimalist survival kit. I borrowed a pack and sleeping bag once I got to Anchorage. I literally fit everything I needed for 2 weeks in the wilderness in one carry-on bag. In doing so, I eliminated the posibility of ruining my trip because of lost luggage.

No doubt I'm missing a few things from my list. But I'm sure others will let you know everything else you need.

Have fun and good luck!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Great info thank you. I will be needing a few other things too, but you lead me in the right direction. Who did you pack for? Was it a combo hunt? and was it in the Chugagh range? This will be my first time here. I use to guide for elk in idaho for years though

Joe
Old 03-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Joe,
Another place to look for gear is e-bay.I buy alot of stuff from there and from www.archerytalk.com. .I constantly 'am serching these sites for deals.I bought(a month ago)a Cabelas Outfitter x-tream frame pack for 110.00 bucks SHIPPED.It was used for one moose hunt,these packs are like 240.00 bucks.
So search the sites,there is good gear out there.
Good Luck from another father of 4
BBJ
Old 03-26-2007, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: joeandjen

Great info thank you. I will be needing a few other things too, but you lead me in the right direction. Who did you pack for? Was it a combo hunt? and was it in the Chugagh range? This will be my first time here. I use to guide for elk in idaho for years though

Joe
I packed for my uncle in the Tok wilderness. Dall sheep was the only thing we were after. I haven't gone since, but I sure wish I could go again. I think about that hunt all of the time.

I was also going to suggest you look up a few of the guys who are from AK and ask them what they think. I've only been once, so their advice will probably be a little better than mine.

Here are a couple of names I got off the Alaska thread. Not sure how often they check in.

AK NIMROD, ArcticBowMan, AK Jeff, bearhuntr
Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 AM

im an alaskan, and also have an opportunity to be a packer this fall in the brooks range, moose caribou bear and sheep, i agree with the list presented by wyomingtimberghost, for a pack i would go with an exterior frame bag, because an interior-frame has a lot less room and support, and is harder to strap things to.
a water filtration kit/iodine pills are pretty much a must if you dont have to pack water up with you, where i sheep hunt in the alaska range, we dont usually filter the water once we get into the mountains, and havent caught anything yet, but its always a good idea
i like softer soled boots when i gert in the mountains, but thats personal preference, (my first sheep hunt, i took a pair of cross trainer nike shoes up there and walked the sole off one of em, had to duck tape it back on)
i know its kinda a no brainer, but BRING A CAMERA, disposable or digital, it doesnt add much wait, and youll appreciate the photos later, when your friends dont believe how beautiful it really is up there

hope i helped out a lil bit, good luck on your trip