Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Thermacells...do they scare away huge bears?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 AM

Default RE: Thermacells...do they scare away huge bears?

Anyone else???
Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 AM

Sasakatchewanoutdoors...How big were the bears and what did you use to keep the bugs away???
Old 03-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: broadfieldpoint

Sasakatchewanoutdoors...How big were the bears and what did you use to keep the bugs away???
Bears were around 18, not monsters, but good archery bears. We just used old fashioned nothing. Cover up and wear a bug head net..

You can deer hunters bug spray that smells like peat...
Old 03-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: broadfieldpoint

Has anyone here shot a REAL monster NOT using a thermacell?
I didn't say I shot anything, you goof.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

All but 1 black bearI have harvested have come when not using a thermacell. That said I wouldn't venture into a tree in the spring without one now thatI do have one either! None where "monsters" but good boars 6-7', 300 + #'s and 18+ coconuts.

Prior to the thermacellused bug shirts, covered up and in some cases no choice butto add bug juice of some form to the mix as well. Always thought I'd do more good being in the stand,still & attentive vs flailing around, distractedor worse yet chased out.

Use my thermacell when hunting deer and elk if warranted.

Just think about something for second, asI am not sure what your wanting to hear based on your post/responses. Would your outfitter suggest something that would limit your chances at harvesting a "monster" bear???
Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Do to the fact that we don't know if bears can smell the thermacell and I plan on using one next fall when I bear hunt, do you think I should use one when I bait? I assume this would get the bears used to the smell. I just read a book about baiting and hunting bear and the author said he sprayed bug spray every time he baited, so he could wear it when he hunted. According to the book he is a very succesful hunter with 30 years of experience. I would think the thermacell has got to be less noticeable to bears than that??????
Old 03-27-2007, 07:10 AM

I realize that the outfitter is there to help...and he HAS recommended that i use the thermacell for the very reason of remaining perfectly still...However....the gene pool uis affected by the removal of mature boars...and when a guy is having his area hammered every year...he might consider putting the odds on the side of the big boars...who knows.I want to be as successful as possible...why not?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 AM

What kind of answer are you looking for? It sounds like you already have your mind made up. Plus, if you think your outfitter is siding with the bears and doesn't want you to shoot one, you need to find a different outfitter.