Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bow black bear

Old 03-26-2007, 06:55 AM

Default RE: Bow black bear

Your answer is simple: Pepper spray!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bow black bear

Bring or borrow from your guide a shotgun with buckshot.Pepper spray is proven to be ineffective on both two legged and four legged animals that are agitated and goal oriented.I'm in Law Enforcement so I have first hand knowledge.[been sprayed during training several times]Bowhunters here hang a 12 gauge on the tree beside the stand just for backup.you may never need it until the day you didn't bring it.Most bears are shot in the evening and you don't want to commence trailing a wounded bear in the dark with a bow and a Mag light.I shot one and was in the process of skinning it in the dark alone and could hear another bear pacing,breathing and popping his jaws just out of sight.Not a nice feeling.I'm sure I set a new world's record in the skinning Dept.and arrived home with all my digits.The skinned bear carcass was gone the next morning.......When you shoot one leave him be for at least a 1/2 hour and listen for the death moan........Have a good hunt................Harold