Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Recommended First Guided Hunt

Old 12-11-2002, 05:58 PM

Default Recommended First Guided Hunt

What hunt do you recommend to go on first?
I have hunted whitetails, sikas, upland birds, waterfowl.

I am thinking of lining up a hunt for a species that I can't hunt from my backdoor. What is everyones opinion for a good first hunt?

Elk, Caribou, Mulie, Antelope, Black Bear, Mountain Goat, Sheep, ....
Old 12-11-2002, 06:21 PM

Default RE: Recommended First Guided Hunt

Spot & stalk Black Bear hunt in British Columbia!AWESOME!Caribou was alot of fun also.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:56 PM

Buck Buster if you are interestesd in mule deer or
antelope in Wyoming. I reccomend FlyingB Outfitters
a great hunt,good people and a lot of animals. You
can check out their website www.flyingboutfitters.com
Keven
Old 12-11-2002, 09:29 PM

BuckBuster, just a couple of follow up questions to help narrow it down(not in order or importance): What calibers are available to you? How long a hunt do you want? How much money do you want to spend? When are you available vs hunting seasons? Do you eat the meat you kill? Aside from the animals what part of the country would you like to immerse yourself in? (North or West or way up Northwest?)

Sounds like you are an all round sporting kind of guy and you have hunted the small to medium stuff and muley's and antelope are kind of "ho hum" so how about something different?
Caribou or elk (big) or black bear (a fellow predator, can bite back).

EKM

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!
Old 12-12-2002, 08:32 AM

I have rifles in 6mm, .270, .30-06, and .338 as well as a bow and .50 cal. inline muzzleloader.
Some where around a week to ten days would be a nice hunt.
For a good hunt I would be willing to shell out the money.
I love to eat wild game. I eat venison instead of beef most of the time. I have eaten just about everything.
Antelope, whitetail, caribou, muley, rabbbit, squirrel, goose, duck, phesant, quail, chukar, doves, sika deer,.....
West would be my first choice never been out there yet.

I just want a first hunt that will be enjoyable and not one that I bust my ass all week to get a mere glimpse at game.

Old 12-12-2002, 08:35 AM

I also don't want to be stuck with a hunt in a fenced in area where I can go pet it before I shoot it.

Fair Chase all the way.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:27 AM

Why not South Africca?
You can get a package with something like 7 days and 5 animals for about $3500. Check out the African Forum on places like the bowsite, or the Accurate reloading forum, there's always deals posted by reputable booking agents and outfitters, you could probably find a better deal than that. I know on the bowsite, outfitters arrange hunts with groups of members, with a few animals included for 10 days for under $3000. Plus you would be going with guys who have been to the same place in earlier years.
Add %1600 for airfare, you're not paying much more than a prime elk or mule deer hunt out West, and less than an Alaskan hunt, plus in those hunts you may or may not get an animal, in SA you'll get as many as you want.
That's what I'm doing my next trip.

Other than that, for my first hunt I would reccomend Newfoundland for a combo of some kind for Bear/Moose and/or Caribou.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 12-12-2002, 10:32 AM

Go for elk/mule deer in the Rockies. Beautiful country and beautiful
animals. You will never regret it.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buck_Buster

Depends on what you want as ar as challenge. I like it tough, so under the circumstances you listed I would opt for a limtied entry muzzleloading or bow draw, rent me some llamas and go. If you're looking for somehting not quite that tough, try a limited muzzleloader or bow with a drop camp, or a trespass fee type hunt. Elk and mule deer in the rockies is awesome country and great hunting.

www.HuntingNanselRanch.com

I've talked with this guy several times, he's been around this site for a while and I am thinking about a hunt in 2003 with him. Its not guided so it'll be harder than other thunts - something to ass more quality to the experience I think. Lots of guides out there with lots of hunts available. Thats my suggestions.
Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 12-13-2002, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing is better than a big elk hunt in the rockies, it just doesn't get any better than that.

Quick Reply: Recommended First Guided Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.