Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly Rifle

Old 04-01-2007, 11:22 PM

Default RE: Grizzly Rifle

You should take whatever rifle you shoot the best with because when things get crazy , like unexpectly coming face to face with a grizz you want to hit it with every shot and make it count not miss because of recoil shiness... As for the guy that said you will reck moremeat with the 375 then the 300. He has a bit to learn , I know for a fact that the 375 pokes nice whole threw animals the size of caribou and drops them usually in their tracks, Where as the 300 kills with its high speed and rapid expansion over the 375 which causes a lot of damage to good meat. If you can shoot the 375 and hit a pie plate at 300yards with five shoots that is more then enough to take a carabou and the extra HP of the 375 will come in handy if confronted with a BIG BEAR PROBLEM!!! good luck on your hunt...
Old 04-01-2007, 11:47 PM

I have to set one thing straight for the guy who said you should trade for a good /06 ... Are you some kind of recoil whimp??? And if you were to comeface to face with a grizz I knowfor a fact that 375 H&H's extra power is a comforting feeling...Meanwhile you and your empty /06 would be looking for a really nice tree to climb before you became a chew toy for the bear!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Recoil wimp.................least I don't walk the woods constantly afraid of grizzlies and yes recoil sucks. By the way my Ruger .338 at 11 lbs is a *****cat to shoot compared to my win featherwight in 30/06 at 6.5 lbs.
The Ruger though, wears me out hikin in the mountains.
In this case smaller is always better.

ORIGINAL: bigger is better

I have to set one thing straight for the guy who said you should trade for a good /06 ... Are you some kind of recoil whimp??? And if you were to comeface to face with a grizz I knowfor a fact that 375 H&H's extra power is a comforting feeling...Meanwhile you and your empty /06 would be looking for a really nice tree to climb before you became a chew toy for the bear!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:47 PM

I don't know what makes you think that I walk around the woods afraid that a grizzly is going to bite me!!! But if he was going to I sure would like to use a rifle that will put him down rather the prevoke him, but each to their own...Remeber the original question that was asked??? I don't recall any where a /06 was even in the picture...Bullet diameter and Ft/lb energy are two things never to compremise on when it comes to dealing with big bears...AS for as weight goes the extra weight isn't a problem if you are young and in good shape...And if you still think you need a light riflemaybe you should look at the weight of a Rem 700 Alaskan Wilderness Rifle it only weighs 6.75 lbs!!!BETER TO BE OVER GUNNED AND HUNT ANOTHER DAY THEN UNDER GUNNED AND NEVER HUNT AGAIN!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

I have to agree. Bigger the better up to the point where the hunter can shot the rifle on the mark. Dont matter how big of gun you shoot if you wound the animal.... And is the 06 good enough for Grizzley. Sure it is. Ive used a 7mm to kill them before and I have family member that just retired from the BLM office that worked the Wrangels in Alaska. Hes killed many grizzley, swears by his 30/06.