Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

NEWFOUNDLAND HUNT

Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Spike

Default NEWFOUNDLAND HUNT

HI

I am looking to book a combination hunt in NF (moose, caribou & bear) could anyone recommend aoutfitter with a good rep. ( have been beat before)----looking for a remote fly in or remote lodge. price range approx $5,500.00-7000.00

thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 08:30 AM

Default RE: NEWFOUNDLAND HUNT

this is a drive in hunt but a great place we are going back in oct. [email protected] i also would just go for moose and caribou and go for bear in the spring tell them Donnaand Don sent you
Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Spike

Thank you Don, I will take a look at them
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Spike

ANY BODY
Old 03-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I have been to Snowshoe 3 times in the last 4 years and they are the best.Fantastic guides, comfortable camp and food that is all home cooked and great. It is a family outfitter and they will make you part of their family. Most customers are repeats so book early or you will be out of luck. Don is right and it is best to forget the bears unless you want to go in the spring. No trouble stalking into either bow or gun range on the mightywoodland caribou. They aren't really migratory so it is similar to a deer or elk hunt out west. You go to high lookout places and glass the tundra and bogs to spot a herd then try to access them for a shot. They don't call them the grey ghost of the north for nothing. They can disappear in moments and are actually pretty warry. The guides are really into them and can almost 6th sence the right spot for a stalk. You see plenty of good animals and can pick the trophy that makes you happy. Tough hunt physically though so better get into good shape. Rubber boots (LaCrosse) and gortex camo are a must due to the wet terrain and windy wet weather. Tell them Frank from Vermont says hi and I will return possibly next year.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 PM

This is who I will be hunting with next year in newfoundland for a combination hunt! Give them a call. I met Trevor a couple of years ago and was very impressed with him and his team! I know they run a first class operation!

http://www.mayfloweroutfitters.com

Old 03-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is where I went in 2005

http://www.biggameoutfitting.com/

Yes, that is the moose in my avatar

I would recommend against the combo. Chances are that you will run out of time before filling all your tags.

This outfitter has operate about a dozen remote fly-in camps. They now have one or two trophy camps that will cost you an extra $1000. These camps where recently opened and the moose are bigger because the camps havehad little pressure.

My moose was from one of the other camps. I'll admit that most of the moose taken from the other camps were smaller, much smaller.4 and 6 point bulls.

Are you after a trophy or meat?

If you go with the intentions that, this is a meat hunt, you will be fine. Otherwise book in one of the trophy camps.

Bears aren't sighted very often from what I understood the guides to say. There are lots of various berries in the fall, makeing it easy for a bearr to eat a lot with out traveling very far.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer, based on my limited experience there.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:40 PM

it sounds good .
any of u want to hunt in China ? try to imagine a wonderful trip......

[email protected]
Old 03-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Spike

Thank you all for the info, I will let you know when I decide who to go with.

thanks again