Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Polar Bears Comments needed!

Old 04-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Polar Bears Comments needed!

ORIGINAL: as moeggs

I don't think listing the polar bear as endangered is such a bad thing. Think about it.....If they are, George "the oil man" Bush can't try to drill destroying habitat like he has done in the west. If the bears go on the list, the land in which they live will be protected too. A good thing for all of us. Team work.
I get a kick out of the new "fawns" that show up in little groups and suddenly take the same eco-extreme view on these topics. Did you all come over from "green peas" [sic] or "peta" together?

There are many times more Polar Bears today than there were 60 years ago! They aren't endangered. Also, they said building the Alaskan pipeline in the 70's was going to "destroy" the Caribou by interferingwith their migration. Guess what? Caribou have thrived in the years since it was built including calving cows finding the slightly warmer area immediately around it good for calving.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, so maybe I haven't experience this sort of thing before, but does the animal even have a chance against your 10x50 Bushnell on your .22/250 or 30/06 with ceramic tipped rounds?
You crack me up. I suppose those poor little birds you hunt have a chance against your 12 gauge semi-auto loader with fiber sights after your high dollar bird dog goes on point to tell you where that poor little bird is hiding![]And "ceramic tipped bullets", you obviously don't havea clue as to what your babblein'! Maybe you should buy a griz tag, be sure to buy a tag and hunt the coastal bears since they're bigger, in AK and take your 22-250 up there with some ceramic tipped bullets, make sure to get the "explosive ceramic tips" and see how much of a chance you stand and getting eatin'![8D]
Old 04-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of these "doom and gloom" stories are based on the theory of global warming. If you listen to the ones with vested intrest in that theory, you would get the impression that everything is going to come to an end in the next few decades the way they play it up.

The whole thing is based on what appears to be a slight 1 to 2 degree increase in the average temp of the world. Half of this increase happened before around1940. But how do they come up with these numbers?

One source is from weather reporting stations spread all across the world. Some of these stations have been around for 50+ years but most for less than that. Some of these stations were built in the middle of nowhere way back when but are now in the middle of suburbia or even in town. Now maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that towns and cities are generally warmer than rural areas, has the data taken that into account? Also the fact that many of these stations have only been in existance for maybe half a century or less, they can only account for the last 50 or so years worth of data.

Older data came from fewer locations and was based on measurement devices that were capable of less precision than what is available today. Therefore the accuracy of the increase in avg temp is based on data that may or may not be comparable in the small increments that are being passed around.

Even if the data is correct on the increases, what can the government really do? Some say we need to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide we emit. Given that best estimates of the amount of CO2 humans generate is in the 4 to 6 percent of the total, I would submit there is little that humans could do to reduce that in a significant enough way to produce any meaningful results. As it is the best estimates of man's contribution to the supposed increases is around .07 degrees, a reduction of CO2 by us would result in a statisticly insignificant reduction.

The carbon level in the atmosphere is somewhere around 380 parts per million, but data derived from ice core samples and other forensic data indicate that CO2 levels have been as high as 1200+ppm in the past, Other data indicates that the average temp has been as much as 5+ degrees warmer than it is now. It also indicates that the CO2 levels trailed the temp increases and were therefore a result of the temp increases, not the cause. BTW, plants do very well when the CO2 levels are above 1000ppm and would generate more oxygen and benefit the ecosystem in the process.

What it comes down to is that any warming that is taking place is just the result of a normal and known cycle that has repeated itself many times in the past and will probably do so again in the future. Man has little to do with it and therefore has little he can do about it. One thing about climate, it is always changing and will continue to do so and everything affected by it will have to change and adapt as well. Of course if you listen to PETA, all the animals out there cause more "GW gasses" thanall our cars combinedso I suggest we open up the hunting seasons and thin some more out and do our part to reduce global warming.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Spike

I am no expert and not claiming to be one but 25,000 bears does not seem like much worldwide. Even though it may be more than there were 50 years ago it still seems a bit thin.

Personally I don't have strong feelings either way but I'd like to make sure that whatever happens it happens in such a way that the population continues to grow.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Hunting in Nunavut only the old males are being taken which prevents them from attacking the females and cubs alone protecting the entire species. These animals are very closely managed and hunting is a very very small part of the animals normal mortality. That being said, Hunters make up the bulk of conservation dollars that are spent on this animal!

Kevin
Old 04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

dmurphy317
Well spoken! I'm glad there are still some clear, critical thinking people like you willing to set the record straight! There are so many inconsistencies about this "global hysteria", just of few of which you mentioned.
There is much evidenc that approximately every1500 years peaks in solar activity is what is driving the correlated slight upward global temperature changes. This in turn does cause some additional ice melt, which CO2 is locked in and is released. So, the alarmists really have the correlation backwards (cause and effect).
Good news is that once Sun spot activity ebbs, temp. on Earth slowly drops. As you stated the cases we know from animals that only live in much warmer climates that once live much farther North in Russia, N. America and Europe that died off when temperatures dropped after one of those warm period of which there have been many before man was around in any number.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am still trying to picture GW with his drilling rig out drilling holes all over the west. Some folks have a lot of wide open spaces between their ears.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am still trying to picture GW with his drilling rig out drilling holes all over the west. Some folks have a lot of wide open spaces between their ears.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: as moeggs

I don't think listing the polar bear as endangered is such a bad thing. Think about it.....If they are, George "the oil man" Bush can't try to drill destroying habitat like he has done in the west. If the bears go on the list, the land in which they live will be protected too. A good thing for all of us. Team work.
I love how you Libby's show up periodically, throw a jab & then go into hiding.....weasel [:@]
Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm always amazed of the ignorance of those who mouth the words and replay the video of the "chicken little" global alarmists. They love to show the glaciers pushing off into the sea, crashing down. This is supposed "proof" that "global warming" real and is making the glaciers all disappear. Though there may be some isolated glaciers that are shrinking, this often played video is direct evidence that those glaciers shown are GROWING!. A shrinking mass of ice starts shrinking at the lowest elevations first and works its way to higher elevations. A growing glacier continues to grow the size, weight and so movement pushing more blocks of ice of at it's terminal end, often the sea. That's basic physics and common sense.

Quick Reply: Polar Bears Comments needed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.