Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY...OF HUNTERS...

Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool

Fuzzyballs44,

You've spend a lot of hours in the hills, but I've spent many hours in the forums. LOL!

Matter of fact, I've written a very similar post when I started and got a lot of kudos along with nominations I should be a president in that industry for my words. It felt good, but I was a rookie at the time.

I'm just telling you now, it's not near as bad as you think. Yeah, some guys really go at with each other, including me(), but like others have already suggested, we're at computers!

Now if the same bunch of us were around a camp fire nursing some barley-pops, it would be totally different than what you think you're seeing here.

Truth be told, I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with my hunting brothers to keep our rights to fight the antis; regardless if I disagree with their hunting ways and ethics or whether I think they're a jerk. LOL!

(Never used this icon before, but feeling the mood. LOL!)

iSnipe
Old 09-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Spike

i agree, at the same time if you can't have a sense of humor and give people a hard time every once in awhile what's the point.

sarcasm and just being downright rude are 2 very different things
Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Spike

ya we do need to stick together as far as supporting and respecting eachother. but every man has a right to his own opinion. as long as we voice it with respect, i say all the better. how can we expand our horizon and learn from eachother if we don't voice our opinions? but i do agree we need to do it respectfully.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by clint802
We should definitely stick together.
Ya it will be great if they both get active on this forum... and share their exp. with gaming...
Old 10-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Spike

Let the crazies shoot their mouths off all they want...in the end its the hunter who spends hours (even days) in the wilderness, tracking an animal, and eventually hoping to land a humane kill. I personally think all that can get someone much more in touch with nature than sitting at a computer ranting about global warming and whining about hunting laws
Old 10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Spike

Right on the head!

The heritage is disappearing just like that buck back into the woods.
The peta plan is, divide and conquer!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

people point fingers because most folks are panzies these days. everyone has a beef, and a indentity crisis going on.
just look at all the tatoos, and bumperstickers. have some faith and move on.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BeaverJack
I'm sorry to bust up the group hug, but I don't feel I'm any more family with all hunters than I am with all of anyone else. Some hunters are in it for no better reason than to use their rifles on animate targets. Some will shoot the best game animals at ranges I consider contrary to the exercising of the true hunting skill set. I have known hunters that will break the law if given a chance to not get caught. Hell, I don't even think all types of weapons should be legal for hunting. If that shuts me out of the brotherhood, then so be it. All hunting is solitary anyway.

Ifn' you fellers wanna go ahead an' swap spit, I'll look the other way.
LOL!

Seriously though I think using the word "family" and all the talk of sticking together shouldn't be taken so literally. I don't know if ole BJ still hangs around these boards but I just thought I respond to this post and hopefully add a little perspective.

We all have family and most of us would take a bullet for them. When we really talk about family there is no other adjective that needs come along with that. It's family, period.

When we talk about our hunting fraternity or hunting family I don't think that means we all need to go hang out together and put our arms around each other. It doesn't even mean we need to hunt together.

I think what this thread is really trying to respresent is that even though we don't always agree (i.e. minimum elk cartridge ) we should always remember there are groups and individuals in this country that wish to take this privilege from us or even worse there are more individuals in this country that have no strong feelings either way about hunting and could be swayed one way or the other by our behavior. By default that makes us united, a family, a brotherhood, whatever warm and fuzzy word you want to use to describe our united front against losing our privilege that we hold so near and dear to our hearts.

There needs to be more education amongst hunters to understand how our actions are percieved by others. We need to better understand the political arena and how those battles play out on a national stage rather than just turn our backs to it and calling it a bunch of "hooo-eeee nonsense". IMO we need to be better educated not so that we can turn hunting into a proper tea party and everyone is constantly on our best behavior but we need to understand how fragile the privilege is and that our actions can be a detriment if we aren't careful. We also need to be willing to open our mouths when we see unethical behavior even if it is family or friends. And please make sure you turn in those that are breaking the law. If you can don't hang that deer out the back of your pick-up to show him off. Hunters aren't going to be offended but some will. Throw a tarp over him or something. These are the things we must edcuate ourselves about and be united on.

Nobody is suggesting we get all Broke Back Moutain on each other, but we need to understand that like it or not we all have something in common and we are all one voice each a representative of hunters across this great country.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, this thread has been going on for a long time. Since I was the first one to reply, I'll add my 2 cents again.
Not only is antis a problem but another big problem we have is keeping our sport from dieing. Thats right. Our youths are failing to participate, ipods, video games and the texing are their life now. It seems much easier for them to stay home and play video games than go out in freezing weather and deal with the elements. We are gradually losing our sport, but its among our own ranks. We have got to get more of our kids pro active and fight against their anti instructors and get our kids more involved in the woods and take their damn ipod away.

Bobby
Old 12-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 121553
Wow, this thread has been going on for a long time. Since I was the first one to reply, I'll add my 2 cents again.
Not only is antis a problem but another big problem we have is keeping our sport from dieing. Thats right. Our youths are failing to participate, ipods, video games and the texing are their life now. It seems much easier for them to stay home and play video games than go out in freezing weather and deal with the elements. We are gradually losing our sport, but its among our own ranks. We have got to get more of our kids pro active and fight against their anti instructors and get our kids more involved in the woods and take their damn ipod away.

Bobby
Excellent point Bobby.

I am currently losing this battle with my nephew. He is 10 years old and has tagged along on some of our hunts over the past few years. His mother (my sister) is extremely lazy and overweight. She is passing her bad habits on to him and on our last hunt he had a hard time keeping up since he too is getting a bit overwieght.

My sister is a single mom but she refuses to cook and they eat fast food for nearly every single meal. They never go outside and do anything. She sits on her computer 24-7 and he plays Xbox all day long.

Like I said on our last hunt he had a hard time keeping up. He didn't want to shoot any guns including his BB gun and told us camping was boring. He'd rather be playing his Xbox. On previous hunts he would tell us what species the plants around us were and talk about dinosaurs and hoe they went extinct. This year we was quiet and withdrawn. Even though we had said no candy or video games allowed in camp he had snuck a bag full of candy and his PSP into camp. When we caught him he just said that his mother told him those rules were dumb and he could take what ever he wanted. We told him too bad, he has to live by our rules in camp. He quickly called his mom on his cell phone and she demanded we take him home after he started literally crying on the phone with her about our rules.

It's incredibly sad and there is nothing we can do about it. In fact my father and I confronted her about the way she was raising him and now she isn't speaking to us.

Sure sometimes children take their own path but it just goes to show that our behavior does in fact affect children and what kind of people they turn into as they grow up.

Quick Reply: DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY...OF HUNTERS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.